Author Topic: Newbies and Scoop  (Read 2537 times)

alancorey

Newbies and Scoop
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:29:14 PM »
These things have probably been mentioned before elsewhere, but it looks like some are being forgotten about.  This being the Newbies section I thought I'd mention them.  The board is run under a piece of software called Scoop, which for the most part is very nice.  But there are a few things to watch out for.

Numbers at the beginings of lines: I haven't seen this happen lately, but sometimes if you put a number at the beginning of a line, whether it's part of a measurement or whatever, Scoop will think it's part of a numbered list.  It will put a period and a couple of extra spaces after it.  So if you put 3.14159 at the beginning of a line you might end up with 3.  14159.  I think I read somewhere that you can avoid this by putting at least one space before the number.  Check your Preview before you click the Post button.

Images:  Many grumbles here.  First of all the board admins will kick out images over 150K, which is perfectly reasonable.  What you should know about the handy button to insert images though is that Scoop will put HTML code around your image that limits it to 80% of the width of the table cell the message is in.  This is particularly ugly if you've already taken time to make your image small, because then it stretches it to 80%.  If the image is down around 200 pixels wide and it gets stretched, it looks really bad.

My favorite browser is Mozilla (the full version, not Firefox).  In Mozilla, Firefox and Netscape, if you right-click on an image you'll see "View image" at the top of that menu.  When you do that you'll see the image at it's true size, bypassing any HTML that's setting the size.  If an image looks wrong in Scoop, I try that.  Amazing what you see.  I don't mean to mention names, but in the recent post of the Garbogens as an example, those images are up around 1152x864 pixels in reality.  They're wonderful if you know how to see them full size.  If you don't, you're downloading that full size anyway and the HTML is cramping it down pretty small.  On dial-up that's not real fun.

I guess what I'm hoping is that people might be more responsible in posting images.  Learn to resize them before you upload.  For Windows users, IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com) is a great little freeware viewer that can also resize and crop images.  Cropping is a technique that can help to get more out of the pictures you upload.  We don't need to see your whole desktop or garage, just what's relevant.  In IrfanView it's as simple as drawing a box around part of your picture with the mouse and hitting Control-Y to crop.  Crop it first, then resample what's left to about 600 pixels wide or so and save with a new name.  If you're a *nix user (there probably aren't many of us), the Gimp is probably the most common program for doing this sort of thing.  Please make sure what you upload is under 150K.  If you've cropped and resized, this isn't usually a problem.

It's probably useful to learn a tiny bit of HTML as well, so you don't have to use the Image button.  The Bare Bones Guide to HTML (http://werbach.com/barebones/barebones.html) is a very concise introduction, but there's a lot of other stuff on the web as well.  Jump right to the Graphics section in Bare Bones and look at how to specify the image URL.  I upload to my images area and keep that in one browser tab, then compose the post in another tab.  When I want the URL of an image, I flip to that tab, right-click and copy the image location, then flip back to my post and paste.  Then I Preview to check.

What people are doing is working.  It just bugs me to see people uploading big images and having them resized in the browser to small sizes.  Both for space and speed reasons, and because there are probably plenty of people who don't know how to see them in their full glory.  I put on my glasses for a closer look, then I think twice and right-click.

I'm off my soapbox and going home for the weekend.  2 days of dialup, when I can tie up the phone line.

Alan

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 11:29:14 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Newbies and Scoop
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 08:59:52 AM »
I would like to add a bit.

Photos don't need to be very large.

Most images are perfectly reasonable for our purposes at 15 or 20KB.

Line drawings are better saved as a .gif, and can be perfectly fine at 5KB.

Here are 2 examples.  The JPG, PVbox, is 10.5KB.  The GIF is only 4.7KB.

They show what I intended to show.

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2050/PVbox.jpg

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2050/RogerAS5wireStepr.gif

I don't know why, but I never had a problem with photos stretching, either in IE, firefox, or mozilla. And I have viewed them from 4 locations that I can think of.  Not sure if my photos are being stretched for some viewers.

G-

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:59:52 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 11:02:07 AM »
I think the stretching depends on the persons resolution. I get it a lot because I run a higher resolution, 1152x864, which is one up from the norm, 1024x768. Some people may still run 800x600 so are very unlikely to have the problem.

80% of 1152 is bigger than 80% of 1024, hence why the stretching is increased for people with bigger resolutions :-)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 11:02:07 AM by AbyssUnderground »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »
We run 1280 x 1024 with no problems.

My wife says abnormal settings will cause strange things. Abnormal being 1280 x (960 or 768 or 720).  But then Everything stretches.

Normal settings are 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, and 1280 x 1024.  I think your 1152 x 864 is normal too.

So... I don't know!

G-

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:54:21 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

coldspot

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 10:00:04 PM »
ghurd-

super nice stepper 5 wire diagram !

How about a six wire????
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 10:00:04 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 10:21:18 AM »
I run a 1400 x 900 92dpi widescreen panel and all the images on fieldlines are stretched. I've not experienced this anywhere else.

Just thought I would keep the board informed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 10:21:18 AM by gotwind2 »

RogerAS

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 07:15:06 AM »
Just add one more set of diodes for the extra ac feed wire, dupicate as per drawing. Easy!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:15:06 AM by RogerAS »

maker of toys

Hey ADMIN! change suggestion?!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 01:28:33 AM »
it's that "width = 80%" attribute. . . it's valid HTML, but not a common thing to see in image tags in web design.  I suppose it's there to force things to fit for people surfing with less than 1024 x 768 resolution and the 'size image to fit screen' function disabled in their browser. the parsing for the 'width' attribute in the browser assumes a 'standard' resolution when calculating the height. some browsers will ignore the whole attribute; hence the 'scrolling' problem some people have reported.

ADMIN- can we get that part of SCOOP's default image tag changed to maybe a hard pixel number (if some sort of inline image size control is needed)  or no size control at all? just a thought.

-Dan

(at yahoo: steelnomad2002)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 01:28:33 AM by maker of toys »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Calling DanF....
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:16:35 PM »
Well, maker, changes need to be done beyond my permissions level here. It is mostly there to keep those massive pics from stretching the thread out wide.

I get perfect display here on all of the pics as is so not sure I agree it should change.

Not that anyone really cares what I think these days.

Anyway, maybe the real ADMIN will do it for you. I would not hold my breathe if I was you . Change comes slow here as long as it "works" anyway.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 12:16:35 PM by TomW »

maker of toys

Re: Calling DanF....
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 12:01:23 AM »
I, too, get good results . . . though waiting for 20 x 100k pics to thread their way down my cel link gets a little boring at times. . . . Like someone recently titled their post:  "pics of my mill-- refill coffee now."

I took his advice, and spent a happy few minutes examining the results.  no harm, no foul. <G>

my request was mostly for other's benefit.

those of you who are having scrolling problems or seeing 'stretch marks' might want to check your browser settings to see if toggling the 'resize image' feature helps.

Thanks for kicking it up the COC, Tom.

-Dan

« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 12:01:23 AM by maker of toys »