Author Topic: long time reader first time poster getting started.  (Read 794 times)

krazirbar

long time reader first time poster getting started.
« on: February 15, 2007, 09:24:09 AM »
I live in a class 4+ wind zone in the panhandle of texas am wanting to know what size of 3ph moter i will need to build a 15-20kw wind gen. I have access to several different sizes from 1/4 120/240 vac 1075rpm up to i think 10hp 230/480vac 3ph motors. only prob is no access to machine tools, lathes, mills ect.have welders drillpress and other such tools but will have to pay for machine work.  also need to know what kind of things to wreck out to get mags, and other items will possibly need.  if in pandhandle and willing to help, or trade out work for machine work, items, I can do just about anything, welding counstrustion hvac plumbing electrical small scale farming have my own tractor. just let me know thanks in advance   ted
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:24:09 AM by (unknown) »

beepipes

Re: long time reader first time poster getting sta
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 06:11:10 AM »
Actually, you sound like you're in pretty good shape. I'll have to barter for the welding. Hoping I can get the lathe work done by a local garage. That would seem to be a small part of the work. The bulk of it would seem to be the welding and scrounging good tower material. Sounds like you have access to the motors with the work you do.

Best of luck to you Ted.

Regards,

Pat

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 06:11:10 AM by beepipes »

kurt

• website
Re: long time reader first time poster getting sta
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 11:01:07 AM »
with 15-20 kw i assume you are thinking grid tie. that is an entirely different ball game than what we usually do here. you are probably gonna need a big induction motor and a gear box. there are some plans available for that type of mill if you look for them. that would probably be your best bet find some good plans with some successful builds and follow the plans.  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:01:07 AM by kurt »