Author Topic: Magnets with a hole in the center  (Read 823 times)

(unknown)

Magnets with a hole in the center
« on: April 03, 2007, 06:01:09 PM »
As I slowly collect parts I have been looking at magnets. I can get 24 n42's with a mounting hole in the center fairly cheap from Ebay. Can that mounting hole tolerate an aluminum pop rivet(or even a steel one which would be better)? Looking for something a bit better than just glueing the magnets down. I get a lot of wind and it can violently switch directions with gusts so I need to build to withstand a lot of abuse.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 06:01:09 PM by (unknown) »

kurt

• website
Re: Magnets with a hole in the center
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 12:51:29 PM »
if you are going to get magnets with mounting holes in them make sure you get the ones with countersunk holes so the scew head fits flush with the top of the magnet. otherwise your screws will stick up making your airgap to big. they are avalable from that canadian seller on ebay that zubbly likes i forget his name but zubbs has mentioned him here before so with a little searching you can find it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 12:51:29 PM by kurt »

vawtman

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 04:08:46 PM »
I did a test awhile back between jb weld and long cure epoxy(shafting epoxy)24hr test time interval.

The jb weld mag popped right off the rotor and the magnet with REAL epoxy busted to pieces trying to remove it.

My opinion is not to rivet them down and use a cheap glue.Moisture will get in overtime and rust will pop whatever screw or rivet.

Do it right and you wont need to encapsulate the rotor in resin either.

Make sure you got things right because once things are set no going back.

Let your rotors develop a little surface rust(excellent primer)for the real epoxy.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 04:08:46 PM by vawtman »

Nando

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 10:56:09 AM »
The ideal set up is a stainless steel screw and the proper "glue" to keep the magnets in place, being the screws the ultimate safety "trick"

Nando

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 10:56:09 AM by Nando »