Author Topic: What are the effects of spinning magnets withn a coil?  (Read 806 times)

mytaxman

What are the effects of spinning magnets withn a coil?
« on: May 03, 2007, 01:30:49 AM »
I am rather a newbie but I have not seen this question addressed and I have no resources yet to test it.   If a magnet is spun within a coil is a current generated.  If current is generated does it alternate or not.  I assume it must not produce power or people would be using it.  Seems to my mind it should produce electricity.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:30:49 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: What are the effects of spinning magnets withn
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 12:15:42 AM »
Depends on the axis about which you spin it and the geometry of the coil it is spinning in.

If it produces anything it will be ac.

It will produce no power unless there is a circuit for current to flow even iof you produce an emf.

In the form that you probably have in mind I suspect it won't work, but I can't read your mind.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 12:15:42 AM by Flux »

stop4stuff

Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:53:14 AM »
google search the board for tumbling magnet ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 09:53:14 AM by stop4stuff »

Seaspray0

Re: What are the effects of spinning magnets withn
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 11:39:55 PM »
Yes, it does.  You must spin it so that the N and S alternate their fields in the coil winding.  You can also spin a coil winding inside a magnetic field.  It will produce Alternating current.  This type of construction is simple to make if you wanted to do a science project.  For power applications its not as practical for mechanical and design reasons.  The principle is the same for all of them... alternate a magnetic field through a coil winding.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 11:39:55 PM by Seaspray0 »