Author Topic: 1st wind turbine attempt  (Read 1529 times)

mukluk

1st wind turbine attempt
« on: June 01, 2007, 01:26:49 AM »
Hi all,

This is my first post I have access to several Dc motors and I am wondering if they are ok for making a wind generator?

The motors are

1/3  hp

1725 rpm

90   vdc

3.6  amps

I have played with it in the wind so far I am using the 4.5 foot Pvc pipe blades (6)

I got 10.2 volts out of it with no load on it.

My plan is to setup several of these but I am not sure how to do the connections.

and exactly what I need.

Any help would be great.

Thank You

Steve

« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:26:49 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: 1st wind turbine attempt
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 08:13:37 AM »
Not an expert, but if mine did that in a 7 MPH wind, I'd try shorter blades.

G-
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 08:13:37 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

CmeBREW

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 03:27:13 PM »
Hello Mukluk,

Are the motors permanant magnet?  I quess they are. Do you know the namebrand?Do you have any pics of the motor(s) or your generator? (that might help us to answer better and we love seeing pics)

Can you hook up a slow drill (600rpm) to the motor and tell us what voltage you are getting? (I use a 3/8" bolt and duct tape to the shaft of motor)

If they are PM motors, I believe they would make decent windmills.

You mentioned your testing in 'the wind' gets 10.2 volts.  Can you guess what the wind speed is in MPH. Big difference between 10 and 30mph. You may need less blades for less drag and more rpm.

We are glad to have you here in the group---but I think most simply do not know how to answer. Alittle more info. and they can help better.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 03:27:13 PM by CmeBREW »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »
"This is my first post I have access to several Dc motors and I am wondering if they are ok for making a wind generator?

The motors are

1. /3  hp
  2. rpm
  3.   vdc
  4. 6  amps"

A good start would be to spin one with a drill (or something) and find out how many volts/rpm you get.  No matter what though  - it's only rated 3.6 amps, so you're probably looking at a small (maybe 4' diameter) 50 Watt wind turbine (you may see peaks of twice that).  Im just giving my best guess and could be off - but they may be OK for a small 12V machine.  Also - do they cog?  If the motors cog then that will likely hurt you in low winds.

"I have played with it in the wind so far I am using the 4.5 foot Pvc pipe blades (6)

I got 10.2 volts out of it with no load on it."

You don't say how much wind...

I'm not personally very optimistic about PVC blades.  People seem to like them because they are easy to make, but I've not in years heard any real success stories.  I expect at best they work a bit, but far from ideal - I also doubt they'd hold up for long.  That's beside the point though since you've allready made them...  You probably need to get the speed up.  You might try 3 blades instead of 6.

"My plan is to setup several of these but I am not sure how to do the connections.

and exactly what I need."

Hard to say.  If you're talking about a serious project/lots of machines and a usable system I would consider getting away from the DC motors and PVC blades and build a single larger machine.  1 good 8' diameter machine will generate more power than 4 good 4' machines!

If you're spending much time at this stuff you should consider getting a copy of 'windpower workshop' by Hugh Piggott. Unfortunately it seems to be unavailable at this time, but there should be a new batch printed up soon.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 03:48:47 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

kurt

• website
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 04:42:50 PM »
i know a guy who is flying a mill using a pm dc motor with the same specs as yours it makes 100 watts max at 12v he flys a 5' prop on it. your blades ere gonna make or break the mill i sugjest you build or buy the best set of blades you posably can for it.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 04:42:50 PM by kurt »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 12:29:18 AM »
try a thrift shop...

you might find a good deal on a used treadmill..

i picked up a used treadmill for 5 bucks--had a 2.5hp dc motor rated at 18 amps..

works great as a pedgen[charge car batts-jump starter] --no dout would even make a good wind mill..will post some picts --when i get to it....

good luck.....................
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 12:29:18 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA