Author Topic: Why I want to build a Wind Generator  (Read 1470 times)

bzrqmy

Why I want to build a Wind Generator
« on: June 27, 2007, 08:11:43 PM »
I am in the process of investigating the possibility/feasibility of building a wind generator.  Please  forgive the length of my message, but I have a lot of stuff running through my mind and I have no one to talk to that understands or cares.  I figure the best way is to let it all out in one of these forums.

There are three reasons I want to build a wind generator:

1. I want to learn and  understand:

*    How much energy can be expected from different size wind generators

*    If wind power is so great, why don't I see wind generators....anywhere.  I ride motorcycles in Michigan for enjoyment.  I have made a point to try to find someone flying a wind generator and have yet to see one.

1. I have been fascinated with this idea for about 20 years now.
  2. I wouldn't mind making my own electricity and saving some money.

My Goal:

My immediate goal is to learn as much as possible about wind power and electricity generation.  My application goal is to power my pole barn with wind power.  I run lights, a computer, stereo amplifier, and a small refrigerator in the pole barn.  I also run an air-compressor, but don't expect to run such a large tool from the scale of my project.  I don't run this stuff every day, mostly on the weekends.  I am hoping I can generate and store enough power during the week to get me through the weekends.  I am estimating that my mill will have a 6 foot diameter swept area.

Of course from my reasons for building a wind generator above, this project must be a Do it Yourself project as much as possible.  I could just go out and buy a commercial kit and realize my end goal, but then I learn nothing.

This is what I know:

*    I have been surfing the net and believe that an axial-flux style is the way to go.  

*    I know that the bigger the better.

*    I know wood based wind generator projects fly apart in high wind.

This is what I don't know:

*    I don't know what kind, size I need, or where to buy rare-earth magnets.

*    I don't totally understand stator construction, Star/Delta configuration, and the phase concept.  If I have 12 coils and twelve magnets equally spaced, wiring every fourth coil together.  Is this a single phase wired in a delta circuit?

*    I don't know anything about making windmill blades.  My plan is to get my generator making electricity on the workbench.  I will work on building my frame, furling system and blades next.

This is what I have.

*    I have a hub assembly from a 1982 Honda Goldwing Motorcycle.  I have yet to see a PMG based off motorcycle parts.  The hub has tapered roller bearings and twin disc rotors 10 ¾" O.D. with about 2" of what used to be breaking surface.  I plan to use one hub as a magnet rotor and the other to mount my blades to.

*    I have a preliminary design for a stator. My stator design will have 12 coils spaced at 30 degrees.  My rotor will also have 12 magnets spaced equally.

*    I also have a 700W Coleman power inverter that will be used to power my goodies.

*    I have an extensive knowledge of Computer Aided Design (CAD).  I will eventually model this system in CAD.  I am using CAD to help design Stator and Mag rotor concepts.

*    I have a great desire to see this project succeed.

This is what I believe:

*    Even though I live in Central Michigan, I believe that where I live, I have enough wind to generate electricity.

*    I believe that "You Can't Do It Wrong"  Sure you can have failure.  I am not trying to build the world's most efficient wind machine.  I would like to fly something that I built myself.  It may not be the best design, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

*    I believe that wind generation will play a major role in providing green energy in the near future.

*    I believe that with some help, I can succeed in my goals listed above.

Bz: This should be a Diary, please repost it there.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 08:11:43 PM by (unknown) »