Author Topic: looking for everything free  (Read 1177 times)

warlockwarrior82

looking for everything free
« on: July 02, 2007, 03:57:33 PM »
hello I'm going to get right into it... I'm looking to make a small wind powered device that will be abile to run a very small cabin.. out in the middle of no where. but the biggest thing is I have vary little time and no money what so ever..

I need to know is there any one that knows of the simplist way to make one wile pulling all the parts from others trash.. I have slight dislexea so reading and reading trying to look for what i need, gets me to the point that all the words mean nothing.. so it'll take me monthes... when i only have weeks... i need extream detail and pics.. to understand..

i need to know what i can do with out... if there is a simple way out of it i want to know... like the power overload thing... you can buy pass buy keeping the radio on...

is there any thing else that i can do with out.. I'm not running a bissness off this power.. I need just a small continuse suplie.

I'm realy sorry, I tryed reading but i could never find out enough. first i got a car altinator.. from a sit that said they had made one that way.. but i didn't understand how to hook up the wires.. then i found this sight that said no not to do it.. it won't work... now i'm just stuck and running out of time..

please some one help me... i need the hole thing from A to Z, not bits and peaces. think like your telling a 15 year old with not clue in his head...

thank you so much...

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 03:57:33 PM by (unknown) »

GeeMac

Re: looking for everything free
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 12:48:35 PM »
If I understand you correctly, you are in need of a numbered parts list and numbered instrutions. Is that right?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:48:35 PM by GeeMac »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 01:47:49 PM »
First and foremost, you will need to invest a lot of effort reading, scrounging and building to do this. So far you have failed on the first 2.

There is no cookie cutter solution for using "junk" and the reason is the "junk" varies from place to place as do the skills of the builder.

Sorry you got took buying a car alt from someone who  told you it would work [to make a sale].

Forget this kind of question until you have at least some clue of what you can do, what you can get in your trash stream, and what you need.

There you go, straight from the hip! Cheap is doable, free is unlikely. Both require a major commitment of time and energy. Thats just the turbine. Then you need cable, tower,  batteries, controllers and inverter. None of those will be "easy" and certainly not "free".

If you cannot read and comprehend well, get someone to read it to you or find a text to speech software so the reading part is not an issue. Or, attend a workshop but that eliminates "free" as they all require money to attend.

This stuff is not rocket science but it is a bit involved. Not trying to discourage you just stating facts.

Reality strikes.

However, at the basic level many DC motors just need a prop to be wind generators. The prop could be anything from wood strips to plastic pipe. The mounting hardware could be anything almost. Depends.

Some of these guys here are true McGivers and could probably create a mill from a tube of toothpaste, a shoestring and a candle wick. I am not one of them.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 01:47:49 PM by TomW »

Capt Slog

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 07:34:33 AM »
As the others have said, it's unlikely that you will get what you want in the timescale that you are asking.

I got into this about 18 months ago and I'm still in the process of building my first real turbine (nearly there though, this weekend might see it).  This follows literally hundreds of hours of reading, research, thought and planning; plus many days building.

Like you, I wanted to do it as cheaply as possible, and I'm afraid that takes time.  I had the good fortune of having some truly amazing stock to work with, even if it was mostly scrap, and the benefit of having a lathe and pillar drill.

I think there are two ways of completing most projects: You either take a lot of time or you throw money at it.  I doubt you will manage quick AND free, unless you are extremely lucky in what you find, sorry.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:34:33 AM by Capt Slog »

stephent

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:58:06 AM »
Running even a small cabin continuously is quite an accomplishment with only wind power.

Using only trash to build with is a even bigger accomplishment.

Entirely possible, but your time frame/cost constraints probably says "no".

"Trash" batteries are usually just that, or take a lot of time to resurrect to a even semi-usable level.

Trash inverters will be exactly that unless you are very lucky.

There's a lot of info in this forum, but not much magic really.

It's either lots of time and sweat or throw a lot of $$ at this or a compromise of both with a few dollars and lots of time.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:58:06 AM by stephent »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:58:31 AM »
Good - Fast - Cheap

Pick two...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:58:31 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Capt Slog

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 08:40:07 AM »
I like that.

That one might just make it to my workshop wall.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 08:40:07 AM by Capt Slog »

vawtman

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 09:00:56 AM »
 Someday,when i get done with the serios stuff.I would think it would be fun to make a vawt out of a junk washing machine even using the panels for blades.

Just for sits and giggles.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:00:56 AM by vawtman »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 09:30:14 AM »
Hi,

it is not impossible with that car alt.

Please read about the conversion here:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/7/3/191357/4809

You can make the blades using suitable steel tubes to cut something similar as this guy has done of aluminum:

http://www.tlgwindpower.com/rotors/allrotors.htm

Or you can use a PVC pipe.

The yaw bearing and the furling tail system you cam make of bicycle parts...  

- Hannu

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 09:30:14 AM by hvirtane »