Author Topic: 2 Hp DC permanent magnet motors  (Read 905 times)

identifiedconductor

2 Hp DC permanent magnet motors
« on: July 17, 2007, 04:49:19 AM »
I have just aquired two 2 hp permanent magnet motors, one a Emerson, The other a Baldor. The problem with both is that the magents have lost strenght. The comutator is fine, new brushes installed.The question I ask is can I remove the existing magnets, And add(by cuting the outside case asemblly) Long bar magnets to increase the number of poles from two to four. This is out side my area of knowledge. So I hope someone with more knowledge Than mine can give me some direction on this matter. I also already have a four blade PVC, 7 ft blade assyembly ready to go if I could make it work with either of these motors.

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 04:49:19 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: 2 Hp DC permanent magnet motors
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:31:46 AM »
No you can't change the number of poles.

You give too little details to help much. I assume these have ceramic magnets, which can be demagnetised by severe overload. If they are older machines with magnet steel poles then they are very easy to demagnetise ( such magnet materials were not common).

You could probably replace with neo but it would be tricky and you would probably have to use lots of little magnets like Zubbly does for the conversions. The results will be comparable to the original ceramics when fully magnetised and if you could get the correct shape neos you may see a fair gain in flux, but it will come at a cost of increased iron loss and cogging.

As you give no other details you will need to form your own opinion as to whether these would be any use even if you can compensate for the loss of magnetism.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:31:46 AM by Flux »