Author Topic: magnets  (Read 1356 times)

GeeMac

magnets
« on: October 10, 2007, 01:11:30 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but I am still on the learning curve.

Everyone here generally alternates their magnets N and then S then N. As I understand it, this is to produce the much better alternating current. My question is: If the magnets are all set to N will the output be direct current?  

A simple "yes" or "no" or "won't work" answer will be fine with me.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 01:11:30 AM by (unknown) »

icicle

Re: magnets
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 07:35:21 PM »
no
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 07:35:21 PM by icicle »

finnsawyer

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 09:50:07 AM »
When a coil passes a magnet or a magnet passes a coil you will get a pulse of one polarity followed immediately by a pulse of the opposite polarity, so the ac is built in to the physics.  Somewhere on this site is a posting showing an oscilloscope trace of just that.  Alternating the polarity of the magnets with the proper spacing and putting them on a circular disk allows one to get the most usable waveform from that basic property.  If you would like to see another potential way of putting that property to use check the following link:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/4/21/16237/9933  

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 09:50:07 AM by finnsawyer »

jacquesm

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 10:34:14 AM »
the theoretical description above is mostly accurate, that 'alternate design' looks like total junk to me...

have you built it and tested it ?

what were the results ?

I notice the posting is of the 21st of april 2006, so by now you have had about 14 months of time to put this in to practice.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:34:14 AM by jacquesm »

GeeMac

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:15:03 PM »
Thanks folks. I have a good idea how it works now.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:15:03 PM by GeeMac »

Capt Slog

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 05:39:40 AM »
Somewhere on this site is a posting showing an oscilloscope trace of just that.

This one?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 05:39:40 AM by Capt Slog »

finnsawyer

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 08:28:20 AM »
"This one?"

No.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 08:28:20 AM by finnsawyer »

finnsawyer

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 08:56:26 AM »
"the theoretical description above is mostly accurate, that 'alternate design' looks like total junk to me..."

So, where does the "junk" come in?  If there is a problem in applying the theory, you should be able to point it out.  Obviously, if the design won't work, then one shouldn't waste time building it.  But, on the other hand, one would think that with all the capable people visiting this site, some, such as yourself, should be able to point out the flaws.  And I certainly invited just such a critique.  I've always been willing to consider any and all arguments against the design.  In 14 months there haven't been any, which really has been a disappointment.  I expected better of the community.

Well, you've come in late to the party, but maybe you can prove it won't work.  Have at it.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 08:56:26 AM by finnsawyer »

jacquesm

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 12:43:06 PM »
the idea is that you build it.

Forgive me for interpreting fieldlines a little different than you do, I did not think that fieldlines was a place where you could get other people to do your homework for you...

The fact that in 14 months you have not had a moment where you had enough faith in your own design to go and build it speaks volumes to me. Back up your ideas with your own time and dollars.

I quote you:

"In 14 months there haven't been any, which really has been a disappointment.  I expected better of the community."

You did ? Well, maybe that is because you misinterpret the basic idea of this community. Your disappointment would change in to enthousiasm if you took it upon yourself to execute your own designs instead of more or less expecting others to criticize your designs and to execute them for you. I'm sure you would learn a lot that way.

I've told you above that your design is rubbish, no need for me to tell you 'why' though, you can do your own homework. Let me give you a hint though: resistance, efficiency and use of available space. I'm sure you can work out the rest for yourself.

best regards,

Jacques

« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 12:43:06 PM by jacquesm »

finnsawyer

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 08:44:12 AM »
You made you the ultimate arbiter of what this site is or is not?  All I see in you is another one of those "professionals" that think they know it all and consequently are not willing to consider other ideas.  There have been a lot of your type throughout history.

I shouldn't waste my time, but let me give you a hint.  Identical coils and the same number of identical magnets.  With my design the resistance will be three times that of the corresponding three phase, but the voltage will be around four times as great.  You could get the same increase in voltage with the three phase by going to four times the length of half the diameter wire, but that would result in sixteen times the resistance.  You figure out what that means.

It never ceases to amaze me that people who claim to understand how a permanent magnet alternator works hit a brick wall when you give them a different configuration to consider.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 08:44:12 AM by finnsawyer »