Author Topic: Sizing the dump load  (Read 19538 times)

defed

Re: Sizing the dump load
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »

Aux output- Just because it can do it does not mean it will do it well.

true, but i presumed it would do it pretty well since that is what it was meant to do.

defed

Re: Sizing the dump load
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 04:06:12 PM »

SSR forward voltage can be measured between the output terminals.
Meter leads on the screw going to the battery pos and the screw going to the load pos.  Possibly marked output, or #1 and #2.
What comes out of the SSR is what is important concerning the SSR.  If the bulbs are seeing much less than that, then it is a wire issue instead of SSR issue.

The 1st data sheet I came acrossed this morning showed Vf between 1.6V and 5.7V.
Most I play with are about 2 to 3.5Vf.
I am on the road this week, or I would have some better numbers at hand.
http://www.crydom.com/en/Products/Catalog/1_dc.pdf

That could mean... dumping at 29V, but the resistors only see 23.3V.
That really screws up the resistor math.

SSR Vf will change with the amps.

i checked the voltage.  27.28vdc at relay output battery pos and 27.18vdc on relay output load pos.  this is only at between 2.5 and 3 amps.  i checked it from the relay output "battery positive to battery negative", and the relay output "load positive to battery negative".  if i measure across the output terminals, i get 88mvdc, which didn't seem to be what i was looking for.

A relay on a timer dumping power is not going to keep the battery voltage very stable.

it isn't quite on a timer, it just has a programmable delay.  it could be set from 0 sec to 10 min after the parameter is met.