Author Topic: 3 phase PMA  (Read 1370 times)

HomegrownPower

3 phase PMA
« on: October 26, 2007, 12:09:41 AM »
Decided to slow down trying to capture all this free gas lol . And try to get my eyeballs above the blur that prevents me from understanding most of this for now and stick with the plans in book to get one going .

Ok I've won some 13awg still needing some 17 to 20 awg for a first time PMA to just get one flying . I'm bidding on 4 of the diode things and fairly well understand building the bridge rectifyer to convert the AC to DC current .

Then I have to be able to use the stuff . I think I could work with 12 volt single phase but only have the wiring info for a 5 phase or 3 phase . Thanks to Hughs book and the ( host ) I think of this site I understand both 3 and 5 phase wiring of the PMA . No idea if delta or Star would be best but can play with that stuff .

Still the idea of using the straight AC interest me so I was looking at an old shaper with a starter on it I junked out .

Starter info .  

3 phase , 60 cycle , 440 volts Bullington 712 Size 1 Type 1A Form 2 FT A.C. Combination Starter

Lamp 150 Watt Max . Control Trans 175 Volt Ampere Push button Start / Stop Disconect switch and even a Convenience Receptacle . Only one Receptacle but has two more knock out beside the one . It looks like a 110 volt extention cord would fit right in it .

Question

If these pics work or if you can tell from the info listed from the paper off the box  Can any of this be used any where in a project like this ? I know I couldn't figure it out and rather than keep asking 100 questions I'll try to cut it to one CAN I USE THIS SOMEHOW ?

Everyone has been great and very helpfull and I really appreachate that . Still I'm going to limit my questions big time and get the friend I mentioned to help wire everything up . He runs an electric motor shop and I first met him while buying a  DC motor to run the feed on a mill . Befor I was done he helped me build a speed control and all my wiring . If I can just find out the things I need and if I can use certain things in the project I can drive to his shop for some hands on instructions of how to hook up and so on .

I know this box recieved 3 phase and had the stuff to start about a 10 HP electric motor . I just checked the recp and a drill plugged right into it so I'm hoping some of it can be used . If Greg can show me how to build a converter it has a transformer that must weight 20 pounds not the small crappy ones in series  like I read about in the inverter section .

Hope the 4 pics come out in this it said I saved 4 files just not sure they attatched

Thanks Lonnie

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 12:09:41 AM by (unknown) »

HomegrownPower

Re: 3 phase PMA
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 06:21:28 PM »
Pictures worked but not in here but I can go to my uploaded files and open them . Not sure what I did wrong . Lonnie

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:21:28 PM by HomegrownPower »

HomegrownPower

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 07:35:44 PM »
Well just won a 8 pound 12 ounce roll of # 20 wire on ebay . Not quite 17 like I wanted but 2 in hand should make some juice . I'll be about 2 weeks getting my wire after paypal takes their sweet time to pay the seller .

Still while I have the rotors for the magnet plates they need cleaned up and so on . I can work on the yaw bearing and tail to stay busy untill my wire arrives .

Pics did work I just failed to attatch them . Going to post the paper in the lid cover to help show this box in this message . Man it sure would be nice to hook the 3 leads from the PMA where the 3 phase hooked up ( Straight AC ) and then use the recp to plum to the house box . I'm not that lucky that would just be to easy .  .

My luck nothing like that can be done but I'm about positive I could use the trasnformer to make a inverter . If They can be made Greg can draw me instructions and I could then do it . He drawed me instructions for wiring  regulators , forward and reverse travel , speed control that I had to build from a list of parts . And more things to charge a second battery on a mill . I came home and built boxes for the speed control . Put it together and hooked everywire to the relay . ( I think it was really a switch for forward and reverse but he said me made a relay from it ( or used it like a relay ) if I'm remembering right it's been years ago .

Ok this pic will be the wiring diagram

Lonnie

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:35:44 PM by HomegrownPower »

HomegrownPower

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 07:39:57 PM »
Sorry guys I'll learn to rename them . Posted the same one then hit back trying to change it . Sorry I hit back didn't know it mattered untill I read the red writing as to what I probably did wrong .

I learn fast please be patent with me

Lonnie
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:39:57 PM by HomegrownPower »

disaray1

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 06:27:55 AM »
Lonnie-

I wouldn't toss any of that stuff yet. The box will certainly come in handy, but the rest of the stuff is iffy- especially the transformer...it looks to me to be toasted. Maybe it's just the pic though. You can also use the fuses/holders for something down the road.

Have fun...

David

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 06:27:55 AM by disaray1 »

HomegrownPower

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »
David

Not sure what to do with it but I certainly will not be tossing it out lol . I have a lot of electronic junk I've gathered while scrapping certain things . This box is heavy duty ( heavy )and yes if nothing else I'll use the box somewhere

Thanks

Lonnie
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 04:43:59 PM by HomegrownPower »

Devo

a few ???
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 10:08:29 PM »
Homegrown, I have to say I'm having trouble following your post...

"Decided to slow down trying to capture all this free gas lol" .

at a total loss here  

"I'm about positive I could use the trasnformer to make a inverter"

Again if you have the parts in a transformer to make an inverter I have a few transformers......

"I think I could work with 12 volt single phase but only have the

wiring info for a 5 phase or 3 phase . Thanks to Hughs book and the

( host ) I think of this site I understand both 3 and 5 phase wiring

of the PMA . No idea if delta or Star would be best but can play with

that stuff ."

What exactly do you you want to build & do?? what are your end requirements & maybe people can help...

I guess what I'm saying is point blank

A- are you looking to use wind?

B- how much power do you need ?

C- Do you already have magnets if so what size?

That has opened enough questions that I'll leave it there...

Devo

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:08:29 PM by Devo »

HomegrownPower

Re: a few ???
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 05:04:24 PM »
Devo

Hey man sorry I couldn't be more help lol . To be honest I started a couple threads that got so long I started a new one to shorten things up . What the deal is I really haven't a clue as to just what I need and ask alot of dumb questions .

Started out wanting a small engine with electric start that would kick on and off as batteries fell to about 80.% . Anyhow finally desided to just start with a wind machine and perhaps learn what I need .

Yea I have my magnets check out 12 of them . 2 inch x 1 inch x .05 suppost to be N42 but I couldn't say for sure what they are . They are strong .

Hope that works and lets me finish . Yes I'll start with wind first ( slow down ) and convert to an engine with electric shut offs and so on later . Talked to Greg today he said to build it he could switch it on and off .

Thats my first magnet plate made it today . I'd like all the power I can make lol . I'll get what I end up with though  . Hoping to have the wire for a couple different stater ideas I have very soon but basically following the book that Hugh P put out . I'll probably alter the speed some just checking things out before I mount it on a  pole .

I really need the plans to a real gen not the PMA or at least I've been told that and am not doubting it . Just playing around to start with . I would like to take a more serious look at all this in the near future . Plus the only plans I seen were 24 bucks lol

Sorry to have confussed yea  I think I confussed everyone. So new to this I'm still not possitive what I really need just going to make something soon.

Lonnie
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:04:24 PM by HomegrownPower »

HomegrownPower

Re: a few ???
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 06:00:17 PM »
Devo

I'll start with this first and get some testing at 25 to 75 ?? The motor says 25 to 75 cycles ?? I think it means RPM . Not sure though it flat should turn it good lol it moves that little gear .

Check out that speed control from about 50 - 75 years ago . I took all that from a old sewing machine .

I'll need to drill about a 3/4 inch hole in the magnet plate , bushing it down to about 9/16 so it will fit that pullie thing there . Then mount to ply wood and twist that sucker . Hope I don't get the fire knocked out of me lol  The fronts kinda rough I'll mount it and while it's spinning whittle the extra fiberglass off that went around the paper mold .

It will end up as a wind machine after I test a few staters at different speeds . I'll just clamp the little armiture thing to  the yaw part . It will take longer to finish the blades than it will take to convert it a little to fit.

I have a good frind thats been looking at my stuff asking questions lol . He thought it would be cool to build his house all the way to the back of his dads property away from the others .  

He checked on getting electric and it was like 8 grand  more than he would ever get just to set all the poles  it would take not counting the wire and other crapp . I'll have to watch him he will be eyeballing my wind machine .

Lonnie

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 06:00:17 PM by HomegrownPower »

Devo

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 08:19:14 AM »
I started with Hughs designs & they work good , I am actually tearing one down right now & rewinding it "Jerry Rigged" as I seem to be able to push the amps a little higher. It will be an 8 footer, I can post the info on it when done if you need it..

Sorry if I sounded harsh, was just having trouble seeing where you were heading...

Are you using dual rotors? I would recomend it for 12 mags if you are going 8 feet or bigger ,A single rotor with 20 mags that size works well also, I find the standard sizes used are a little undersized so things burn up under high wind if you don't furl early. Dans new approach of using bigger stronger magnets or going with a bigger plate & more magnets(what I'm doing) are both good fixes IMHO.

Devo

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 08:19:14 AM by Devo »

elvin1949

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »
Devo

If you look back at his earlier post.

He also has "FREE" natural gas.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:24:18 AM by elvin1949 »