Author Topic: knowledge needed  (Read 4974 times)

BIGBERG

Re: knowledge needed
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2008, 03:58:29 PM »
 I am sorry G. I wanted to know if it were feasable. To build rather than install a pre-buildt Wind turbine. I would just as soon certain gov.officials didn't  know what I was doing.

You keep giving me crap about the Wright Bros. Leonardo desined a glider long before the Wrights. If you read thier history. You'll find they buildt a wind tunnel. But rest assured. There were thousands long before them trying to fly. I am

certen they studied those who tried and failed. Before them. And would bet they used

Those centuries of knowledge in some aspect of thier experaments. The glider had been around centuries by thier time. I would like to get get off the old history now. Not that I don't enjoy it. But I have problems I am trying to resolve.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 03:58:29 PM by BIGBERG »

jonas302

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2008, 09:23:54 PM »
Not sure where you are at but with my elec coop dual fuel will cut power to the electric heaters only you then need to use another source having thermal storage will help overcome this what type of heat do you use boilers are easy to store more heat but there are ways for other systems to there are three meters on the building with off peak heat, hot water, and regular power the power company doesn't care about my solar panels or windmill if I ever get one up

You could build a mill to add heat but it wouldn't be the easiest and it would need to be big like the 18 footer in recent stories Solar collectors might be possible

You can definatly make some power yourself but the direct running will not be the easiest first project think about starting with a 10 foot mill and a handfull of batterys and inverter and grow from there

Study at otherpower.com Dan just wrote a story on if a windmill is the right option

there is a ton of info there with no drifting off topic  

Don't forget to look inside the box before you think outside it there is a ton of free knowledge just waiting here as far as the vawt goes they dont consistanly produce the power of a big mill 80 feet up

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:23:54 PM by jonas302 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 04:52:49 AM »
You Can't buy one that fits the stated requirements either,

because nobody makes one,

because it's not feasable.

That's the only mention I made of the Wright brothers.

G-

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 04:52:49 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

finnsawyer

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »
Actually the Wright brothers used their rudimentary wind tunnel to correct some misconceptions about how air foils worked.  That allowed them to put together a structure with enough lift and thrust to actually fly and not just glide.  Developments in engine technology also helped.  That is, the power to weight ratio was adequate.  Others were also trying to develop heavier than air flight.  The Wright brothers got there first.  It would have happened anyway.  The technology was at a tipping point.

You say you have problems you are trying to solve.  Why don't you list them?  Ask a specific question and you may get a specific answer.  

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:58:09 AM by finnsawyer »

finnsawyer

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 09:17:15 AM »
So, the solution is to cut off the hog sheds from the grid and then put in a large enough wind turbine rectified to 12 volts with battery storage to provide the power needs for the sheds for ventilation and lighting.  Heat can be another issue depending on your actual climate.  But there would no be reason that a fossil fuel or biomass fuel heating system couldn't be run off of 12 volts.  You could run grid power to a single furnace and keep the sheds off grid, but might run afoul of the grid rules with the 24 volt ac thermostats.  Well, go to radio controlled thermostats.  Did you say something about thinking out of the box?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:17:15 AM by finnsawyer »

BIGBERG

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 05:58:05 PM »
 Thankyou woof. It certainly appears to be a much larger project than I had envisioned. I read the test coil reading at 20' wind mill site. And began hoping to use that to maybe build something. The fans installed are expensive. Good fans tho. Vetilation is critical. I am not certain how critical the purity of the alternating current. To operating them. Other than the fans and lights. Not much else for appliances. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:58:05 PM by BIGBERG »

BIGBERG

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 09:11:59 AM »
  I have been searching the web. Quiet revolution has roof mounted many wind turbines. question: can a second axial flux generator. Be built to produce drag? Wouldn't this work as an automatic brake? By building the second gen.to cut-in at the highest speed I want the mill to turn. And having the leads shorted? Couldn't I then get rid of the furling system?

If I could build the ax-flux stacked. I could move the blades farther from the tower. Question: why are the coils V shaped? Does the voltage need to be chased thru the coil? Or could the coil be placed completly beteween the magnets?

I am sorry,it is hard to explain. But I thought if the coils were turned 180 degrees they would be narower. And I would get more alternating with less speed. Maybe I should be asking Mr. Piggott.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:11:59 AM by BIGBERG »

BIGBERG

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2008, 09:22:40 AM »
  I ment to say turn the coils 90 degrees. Also remove the air gap in the center of the coil.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:22:40 AM by BIGBERG »

finnsawyer

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2008, 09:54:32 AM »
You're trying to cover too much territory at one time.  Your idea of using the shorted second alternator to hold the turbine speed fixed won't work because nature won't cooperate.  As the wind blows harder the mill will speed up.  At 50 mph the wind has 8 times as much power as at 25 mph, and that power will act to make the blades spin faster.  One result will be to cause more current to flow in the coils of the shorted alternator, eventually causing the alternator to burn out.  Simple wind resistance of the mill will also increase, possibly causing the blades to break or hit the tower.  Furling the mill tends to alleviate these issues within limits.

You are also confused as to how the voltage is induced in the coils.  If a coil is smaller than the diameter or area of the magnet face so that it sees a constant value of magnetic flux as it moves relative to the magnet (nature doesn't care which is actually moving), no voltage will be induced in the coil.  A voltage is induced when the magnetic flux changes, such as when the coil passes from over a north pole (region of positive flowing flux) to being over a south pole (region of negative flowing flux).  In a properly designed 3 phase alternator the maximum voltage will occur when the coil exactly straddles two neighboring magnets.  conversely, the voltage will be momentarily zero when the coil is exactly centered over a magnet.

The voltage induced depends on the RPM of the alternator and the number of magnets.  For instance, with 12 magnets the rotor will have to advance 30 degrees for a coil to pass from centered on one magnet to the next, which generates a voltage pulse.  For a given RPM the time it takes will be the same no matter how the coils and magnets are arranged, so the induced voltage should be about the same even though the size of the rotor would be different if say 2 inch by 1 magnets and associated coils are turned 90 degrees.  You should go read up on Faraday's Law.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:54:32 AM by finnsawyer »