Author Topic: Need design information thermosyphon hot water  (Read 1265 times)

graeaglecrawler

Need design information thermosyphon hot water
« on: January 21, 2008, 05:27:31 PM »
These are my design parameters.A wood stove that burns 24/7 for 5-6 mos. with 8" rear flue pipe. preheat tank will be 11' away and 10'-12' higher. the 3/4 copper coil will be on the flue pipe but how many wraps and how tight is needed? how close can my first solder joint be to the coil. at what point can i transition to 1" schd. 40 white pvc pipe. any help would be appreciated. my water pipes will shoot straight up+ 12'and then over 11'. thanks
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:27:31 PM by (unknown) »

harrie

Re: Need design information thermosyphon hot water
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »
You said preheat tank, so Im assuming your using it for domestic hot water. Wraping the 3/4 inch copper pipe around the flue, will work, but Im afried it might work too well, and get way too hot.

You of course would need a pressure releif valve on the tank to blow off the steam that you may make. As far as the number of turns around the flue, if used for domestic hot water should be few. I guess one would have to know the average temp of the flue where the copper would be wraped. you will not have anyway to control the temp of the water if you need the wood stove to run 24/7

This type of application would be better to use for heating with the use of heat exchangers, or wall mounted fin tube, with expancion tank and again pressure releif.

I would not use anything but copper or gal. pipe all the way to the main hot water tank, than you could use the pvc pipe through out your home. As far a sodering a joint, 50/50 soder will not melt as long as there is water in the pipe. Or you could use silver soder, or 95/5.

when you are trying to thermosyphoning any thing, make sure your return always has a downward run, and the supply has a continue uphill run. no loops.  

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 03:35:47 PM by harrie »

graeaglecrawler

Re: Need design information thermosyphon hot water
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:37:36 PM »
Yes it would be for DHW and i'm going to have a 40 gal. storage tank(old water heater). I will be using plenty of relief valves. My concern also was the amount of heat and and actually could have a series of copper pipes inside the fireplace since my wood stove sits on the brick hearth in front and the fire place acts as a heat box behind the stove.thanks for your comments
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:37:36 PM by graeaglecrawler »