Author Topic: How to connect these solar panels  (Read 2852 times)

DavidPV

How to connect these solar panels
« on: February 19, 2008, 09:15:27 PM »
I have recently purchased used 20 pieces of 20W BP solar panels; I should get them connected in 48V configuration for 48V battery charging. Could you please give me an idea on how to connect these in the most efficient way.

All I can see is  -ve and +ve sign on a black box, please indicate in a simple language as how to connect these -ve & +ve from one panel to another and then from there onwards to the third and fourth.... Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, David.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:15:27 PM by (unknown) »

Hank

Re: How to connect these solar panels
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 03:00:26 PM »
Hi Dave,

Assuming these are all 12 volt panels you will want to connect 4 panels in series. That means connect the +ve of one panel to the -ve of the next when you are all finished connecting these 4 panels you should have one -ve lead open from the first panel and a +ve lead open from the last panel. This will make a 48 volt array.

With 20 panels you can make 5 arrays (4 panels per array)

Now if you want to use all the panels for charging or other purpose you can use each array alone or you can parallel them. To parallel two or more arrays you connect the +ve leads of each array together and the -ve leads together, these will now supply your output.

Hope this helps and have fun,

Hank

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 03:00:26 PM by Hank »

DavidPV

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:12:20 PM »
Thanks Hank,

Just worried since some websites advise to use a connecting box or breakers somewhere somwhow!

In your explanation, series is understandable, but when connecting the -ve & +ve wires out from each series string into the other series string, how should that be done? I mean should I connect thes series wire into a connecting strip or should I have one wire shaved off (pealed off) at four points for both +ve & -ve and then connect these to the battery +ve & -ve Terminals?

Thanks for your help.

Dave.  

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 03:12:20 PM by DavidPV »

Hank

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:23:25 PM »
Dave,

I'm not sure it really matters just make sure the connections are protected from weather, shorts and such stuff. It probably would be better/neater to use a connecting strip however, then run seperate wires to your battery bank. Just be sure when paralleling the arrays that all the +ve wires are connected together and all the -ve wires are connected together.

Hank

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 03:23:25 PM by Hank »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 04:11:20 PM »
It will be difficult to connect them due to the quantity of wires.

Is this what you seek?

G-

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:11:20 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller