Author Topic: Do I have this figured out O.K.??? or not.  (Read 8526 times)

finnsawyer

Re: Do I have this figured out O.K.??? or not.
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 08:36:47 AM »
Where are you located?  I'm outside of Houghton.  How's the sledding?  Grin!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:36:47 AM by finnsawyer »

CmeBREW

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 02:51:27 PM »
You certainly don't need to start over. You have some VERY nice (and expensive)renewable energy components there. Don't get rid of anything. You are heading in the right direction. Later, when you can remove some trees/branches you can add solar panels and have a nice system. You clearly are no dummy. You've done plumming and house wiring, so you will figure this out- just be patient and take the time to know (read the manuals, find out the info, etc.) what you are doing.

Probably the easiest method for you right NOW is to do what Kirt said and use the 120vac Charger that is in your Inverter to charge your batteries fully. The manual should show you how to hook the 120vac wiring into it from your Diesel generator. BTW, that inverter you have IS cabable of 220vac, but I would only do 220vac (high watt appliances) directly from the big Diesel generator myself. The power avaliable in batteries is limited. While you are using the Diesel geneator for other big things, it can also be charging your batteries, and when they are full it will go off automatically and a led light should come on. YOu already have everything you need to set this method up.

Or, You may choose the other method but it alittle more difficult.  It sure sounds like that Windblue generator could be putting out about 20amps. If it is, then that would be around 1000-1200 watts of power going into the batteries @48v.  You would therefore need a dumpload of 1000-1200 watts. It does not HAVE to be water heating elements,  you can also go with AIR heating elements/or power resisters if you don't want to buy a hot water tank or don't have the room for one. I thought you said you have a propane heating tank anyway.

If you get that new Diversion Load controller, you should probably make sure it has an Ammeter on it. (sometimes it is an optional lcd screen)

Read the manual thru and set it up for your 48v batt system,(it probably has dip switches inside) and hook the 1000w water/air heating elements up to it,(as the manual says) and the charger will automatically charge the batteries fully and a led light will come on when they are full.

It would be a good idea that if and when those batteries go bad, that you DON't replace them with the same type of battery.  Instead, get some T-105 TRUE deep-cycle batteries or similar. (Golf cart batteries are good and economical too. They may last half as long as t-105's BUT they cost half as much. About the same I think)

Sorry I can't help more, but I am more of a beginner like you. Never get discouraged. You'll get it. Just keep studiing here and asking more questions!

P.S.  You might get some more 'extra' help and pointers from others if you could give Your email address. Worth a try perhaps.  

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 02:51:27 PM by CmeBREW »

wdyasq

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2008, 09:44:57 AM »
I just read through the posts .....

Gasoline has about 83% of the energy of diesel per gallon. Gasoline engines are about 75% as efficient as diesel in converting power to energy. This means a gasoline to power conversion is about 62% as efficient as a diesel to power conversion, all things being equal. And yes, in reality gas generators I have been around 'working' gas generators use about twice the quantity of fuel a diesel generator uses in a day.

If one is running a diesel generator at a low output, a gasoline engine may make sense. But, it won't take too many hours of running to pay the fuel difference between a gasoline engine and diesel engine, true output being the same. Diesels should be run between 25% and 80% of rated output. Many gasoline engines show their insides quickly at those outputs.

But hey - this is your project and your money. Don't let a few facts get in your way.

Ron

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:44:57 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

bearbutt95

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2008, 10:14:04 AM »
Thanks for your input

Is it possible that my diesel gen could back-feed into the batteries???Maybe I did some bad wiring!!!

With what I am reading here--my PM motor isn't putting out enough power to do any-good. but the top of the batteries are wet!!!

My Midnite panel doest even lite up (meaning no bells or whistles --needles or gauges don't move or read).  My neighbor down the road from my camp said that we had a snow-lighting storm in the first few days I had this thing up and running but I left to go home.

When the 10kw diesel gen I put in maybe 23 years ago the price was maybe .85 cents a gallon???

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 10:14:04 AM by bearbutt95 »

CmeBREW

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 05:23:22 PM »
Some pictures and/or wiring diagram of the way it is hooked up might help.

Do you have access to a digital camera?  

It would probably be best to keep looking for a qualified Electrican to hook up a 120vac line from your Deisel generator to charge your batteries THRU the 60amp CHARGER that is in your INVERTER.  I do not know if that charging method would require a dump load or not. Look in the MANUAL that came with it, or phone or email that "Energystore" where you bought the system. They are suppose to have the "knowledgeable staff".  

This link makes it sound easy to do.(probably isn't though)

http://tekrispower.com/inverters/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/20/products_id/329

I suspect that method would charge the batteries 3 times faster than the gasoline generator. (60amps instead of only 20amp from the gas gen)

Tell the Electrican you want the CHARGER In your Power INVERTER to shut OFF automatically after the batts are full and avoid Over-charging and ruining the batteries.

I wish I could see the manual on that nice Pure wave Inverter!

And as so as you can, get some solar panels and start saving the big bucks on fuel!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 05:23:22 PM by CmeBREW »

CmeBREW

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2008, 06:37:23 PM »
I meant L-16 Deep cycle batteries or T-105 (I believe are golf cart batteries??) are good too. Of course golf cart batts can vary a lot in price too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 06:37:23 PM by CmeBREW »

CmeBREW

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 05:01:11 PM »
I believe that website just added some good Basic RE-Information to their website.

Where it says "Guide to Alternative solutions": (informative links too)

http://home.altenergystore.com/

I don't recall seeing that before on their front page. If it was-----never mind.

Looks like some good basic info.  

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 05:01:11 PM by CmeBREW »

bearbutt95

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2008, 09:29:59 AM »
I graduated from Perkins Tech in 1972 (now it is Mid-Peninsula school).

I am going to start over with this project:::Two project's--also my daughter's new cabin. I would like info in LAYMAN'S terms if possible???

First and foremost you guys scare me or intimidate me-

Like if I ask a dumb question-- someone will say search the board---it has been answered...

I always believed that the only dumb question was the one never asked!

If a person doesn't know the terminology how can you search? Believe me I have tried for months. I THINK that this is the right place for info.

There is a-lot of people like me that would like to save money and the Planet but do not know where to start!

Well it is a question that I have. Sometimes I don't even know how to ask the question--I don't know what everything is called--don't have a clue to test things-IE amps-ohm's- watts-etc.

I don't want to make my own motor I want to buy one (I don't know what I need or what it is called--I bought a windblue wind generator cost appr. $300.00 dollars I think I fried it??? It won't turn by hand anymore.

I am going to keep the other equipment maybe I can figure out what's wrong with it (hopefully).

I want to order some new equipment I would need double of everything (Mine & my daughter's). New Batteries--inverters--charge controllers--DC motors

Well here goes...everything!!!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:29:59 AM by bearbutt95 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »
I know what you mean.

First, start with web sites selling stuff.  They tell what it's called, and what it does. Don't expect a whole lot to be completely accurate (they are selling the stuff).

This is some good basic info...

http://www.solar-electric.com/

G-

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:39:53 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller