Author Topic: 10kw hub motor & how to make a axial 3,000rpm 10kw generator  (Read 1272 times)

greg123

10kw hub motor & how to make a axial 3,000rpm 10kw generator
« on: April 11, 2008, 04:30:45 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm a vegoil guy and hoping to do a small project on a motorcycle with a stationary engine running on vegoil, with (if this would work) some sort of pancake radial flywheel generator, permanant magnet, and hoping to find somewhere I can buy in a hub motor (again Neodymium non-geared efficient type) for the wheel(s).

The engine would be 10-30hp depending on type, so lets say 15hp and that equates to around 10kw constant. So I'd be looking at a 10kw hub motor.

I'm looking for 90-95% efficiency on both the generator and hub motor, hoping for 90% overall which with the engine running at constant speed (I presume I can use an efficient PWM motor controller) should give me a better overall efficiency than using a gearbox, plus the added advantage of no gearing needs and flexibility of mounting the engine.

It also allows me to hopefully one day get regenerative braking from an ultracap bank, if that becomes possible/worthwhile!

So guys - anywhere I can learn about buying/making a generator for my diesel engine and where can I get a hub motor? Any links appreciated. I know there are people that build very good and efficient generators from neo magnets for wind turbines, but I can't find anything for engines. Also this engine runs at 3,000rpm, not a few hundred like a wind turbine.

Greg.

PS I can use two hub motors, front and rear, if that makes anything easier.

Fixed your big block of text post to have some breaks.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:30:45 PM by (unknown) »