Author Topic: Wiring alternator in star.  (Read 1709 times)

davidjramos

Wiring alternator in star.
« on: April 26, 2008, 05:38:06 AM »
I'm a defintite newbie to wind turbines. I'm really trying to learn about the alternator wiring. I have not found a clear concise diagram of how to wire the alternator in either star or delta (at least not on the internet). I'm pretty sure I know how to do it correctly, but is there anyhwere I can get good schematics and photos. Everyone really seems to gloss over this subject when telling of the stator building process. I've seen all the leads connected to lugs on the stator and so forth, but still a little ambigouus on the connections and where to make them. Any advice on where to find this info would be appreciated. Books, internet, manuals, whatever.

Thanks, Dave
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 05:38:06 AM by (unknown) »

commanda

Re: Wiring alternator in star.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 01:07:31 AM »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:07:31 AM by commanda »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 01:12:41 AM »
With a 3 phase winding you have 3 identical windings spaced 120 electrical degrees. Each has a start and a finish.

For star you join all three starts together and take the output from the finishes or vice versa.

Simple as long as you arrive at the first bit correctly. Some windings have an electrical displacement of 60 deg and that requires a different connection to get 3 phase winding. I don't want to confuse things here, if you are building an axial dual rotor machine common here that issue never arises. If you are doing a motor conversion then it becomes a possibility.

There are plenty of connection diagrams for star and delta here if you can find them.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:12:41 AM by Flux »

CmeBREW

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 08:29:21 AM »
Did you read this? It has simply wiring diagram explaination for Star or Delta:

http://otherpower.com/stator.html

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 08:29:21 AM by CmeBREW »

CmeBREW

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 08:50:33 AM »
Forgot this:  Make sure all the coil's winding direction goes the SAME direction. It doesn't matter if they all go CC or CCW, as long as they are all the SAME winding direction. (in this basic 3-phase set-up)

His explaination of "starts" and "ends" can be alittle confusing I think since a coil could be wound in either direction and still have a 'start' (or;"in") wire and a 'end' (or;'out') wire and be incorrectly placed in the stator.

(I recall that was confusing to me)

Just make sure they all go the same winding direction when placed down.

I always wind the coils in the SAME direction in the coil winder and mark the 'outside' wire with a permanent black marker right before 'twisting' the wires together before taking it out of the coil winder.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 08:50:33 AM by CmeBREW »

davidjramos

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 06:31:05 PM »
Thanks BREW, Out of all the searching I did on this site and others somehow I missed that page. It was perfect. Great photos and illustrations. I feel totally confident in making my stator now. Well, off to experiment with coil size and gauge.

Thanks alot, Dave
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 06:31:05 PM by davidjramos »

CmeBREW

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 10:24:01 PM »
Yes, they did a whole LOT of nice work on that page.  Great pictures and explainations of an otherwise intimadating,complex subject. I am still looking it over myself. They are making some really nice looking stators.  Also, I believe they said they intended to say that Vinyl Ester resin is much superior to use than typical fiberglass reinforced polyester for dissapating heat from the coils.    

-Tell us how it goes!    

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:24:01 PM by CmeBREW »