Author Topic: 1/2 hp from harbor freight  (Read 1926 times)

modernmarvelinspired

1/2 hp from harbor freight
« on: April 27, 2008, 11:55:16 PM »
I recently purchased a 1/2hp ac induction motor from harbor freight.  For some reason purchasing a new motor was the only way for me to get a motor to convert to a generator.  People here seem to be able to get used motors, but i've never come across one.  So anyways I took the thing apart and pulled the armature out.  I had my dad machine it down so I could place magnets on it.  I ended up with 60 magnets, 1/2" x 1/4" on it, N50.  Each pole of course consisted of 15 magnets tightly together.  Since I used the same armature that it came with, I just skewed the magnets according to the aluminum dividers or whatever they are called as a guide.  It was a pain getting the magnets to superglue so close to each other, it took me like 4 hours. Finally I got em on there, by the way I may have gotten the magnets on there quicker if I wasn't married.  The wife always seems to have honey-do's for me.  Ok , then finally I bought some epoxy and made the cast to ensure the magnets will stay on.  Got the thing back in the motor, and it turns great, just with a slight cog.  FINALLY I made something that works hehe.  There is only maybe 1/32 clearance between the magnets and the stator. Looks like about 12vdc around 120 rpm.  But I have a 24v inverter so I may have to use a small set of blades to achieve that cut in.  I wish I just went this route in the first place, I found an ac induction motor conversion so much easier than an axial flux.  No coils to wind, no complicated setup. Although I know people here do just fine with the axial flux, but really , unless you have the time, the tools, and the patience I recommend a coversion for starters.  I live in Blanchard OK, and I know of 4 bergy generators, the 10kw ones within a 20 mile radius.  These too must be like a motor conversion, except they have em down to a science.  Those bergeys and the peeps here on this board doing experiments is what inspired me to make a conversion.  Every day I read the old and the new stuff tryin to learn just exactly how to go about it.  I thank everyone for their stories, of course flux, I always try to read his stuff, and that guy Jerry.  I took some pics for you guys but I'm too dumb to know how to post em.  I really wanted to show them to you, any advice would be welcome.  I love looking at peoples pictures, it hepls me see what they are talking about.  I'm hoping for something like maybe 500 watts, I mean the real stuff too.  Not that instantaneuos crap. Once again thanks to the admin and everyone for everything, I have definately learned alot from this board since I started this cool hobby a year ago.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 11:55:16 PM by (unknown) »

asheets

Re: 1/2 hp from harbor freight
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
I'm thinking about doing the same thing.  What kind of magnets did you use and how much did you pay for them?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:07:20 PM by asheets »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 06:19:27 AM »
So nobody replied, well I find it impossible to read a block of text, please set your FORMAT to "Auto Format" then any paragraphs you put into your text will remain in the final post.

From your closed second post I guess you are looking for blade details, Google this board for blade programs there are several. I don't know how to atach one that I use but Hugh Piggot has one on his web site, Alton's wind site has on it I have heard.

Into these programs you imput watts, wind speed etc so good luck.

regards Allan down under

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 06:19:27 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

modernmarvelinspired

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:58:43 PM »
They were 1/2" x 1/4" n50 magnets.  I bought 100 of them for around $38.00, but only used 60 of them hehe.  It was worth evry penny!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 04:58:43 PM by modernmarvelinspired »

phil b

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 09:16:08 AM »
modernmarvelinspired,

I'm right in your neck of the woods! Shoot me an email. There are several places to get 3 phase motors for about 20 bux around here. BTW, good story!

Phil

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 09:16:08 AM by phil b »
Phil

modernmarvelinspired

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 07:26:58 AM »
I emailed ya, some pics too thanks :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:26:58 AM by modernmarvelinspired »