Author Topic: 24 volt system with 12 volt parts?  (Read 820 times)

WineGuy

24 volt system with 12 volt parts?
« on: April 29, 2008, 03:37:50 AM »
Newbie here  <-----

I noticed from the latest poll that most folks are using 12 volt systems. I assume that this is because it is easier to build a machine that produces 12 volts at a lower wind speed. Is this generally correct?

I know that 24 volt systems have less line loss. What other reasons are there that you WOULDN'T go with 24 volts?

The reason I am asking is because of the following. I have a few DC motors that look like they will do well for a 12 volt system given the average wind speed for my area, but I have access to some parts for a 24 volt system, including batteries and inverters.

Does it make sense to use this combination, or is it more problems than it's worth?

Would I need a DC to DC converter to charge the 24 volt batteries if I get them?

Do I add a second gen or solar panels and run two sets of 12 volt batteries just to use the inverter ?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:37:50 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: 24 volt system with 12 volt parts?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »
I suspect it has much to do with what purpose people are putting their system to, if it's a few lights or a weekend cabin then 12V seems logical.

If you intend to power a home then 24v would be a minimum.

There are many more 12v, off the shelf components than any other voltage, so for a small installation that makes sence.

If you have a 24v inverter and batteries you need a 24v charging source.

allan down under

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:19:44 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: 24 volt system with 12 volt parts?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 01:47:38 AM »
If you are trying to adapt some dc motor then you may be limited to 12v. If you build a purpose built alternator it is no more difficult to build it for 24 or 48v than 12 and the issue doesn't arise. In general a 24v machine will out perform a 12v one.

The only conceivable reason not to use 24v over 12 is if it is a small system and you can manage to run a lot of small devices at 12v, such things are more readily available for marine and recreational use. Even 24v low energy lights may be more difficult to get than 12v.

In every other respect a 12v system cramps your style and if you intend it to grow bigger it will eventually become a liability.

I don't think I have contributed anything that Alan hasn't already told you except that adapting rogue dc motors is a limited option for tiny systems and will never grow beyond the limits of 12v.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:47:38 AM by Flux »