Author Topic: Introduction/Homemade Batteries  (Read 1234 times)

wooliver

Introduction/Homemade Batteries
« on: May 12, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »
After searching on "homemade batteries" only one thread came up. Very ineteresting stuff on Aluminum/stainless cell.

I've started on several solar & wind turbine systems only to hit the wall when it came to the price of storage batteries. Many folks make their own alternators or generator and wind turbines. i haven't found any folks actively building their own cells/batteries. Well, i'm trying. I'm trying conduit (zincplated steel) and copper tubing, with an alkaline electrolyte. I'm to the point where i've made several cells and will be filling and joining in series, then for the amp/hour (could be milliamp/minute or second?) testing, who knows? Anyway i'm doing it. We'll see shortly.

Anybody out there build their own cells?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 04:45:47 PM by (unknown) »

vawtman

Re: Introduction/Homemade Batteries
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:30:17 PM »
I've been here awhile and can't remember any homemade cells.Save your money and buy real batteries designed for the purpose.

Can't wait to read the results of your testing :0

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:30:17 PM by vawtman »

jonas302

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:43:34 PM by jonas302 »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:44:16 PM »
You didn't search hard enough

Here are a coupla more stories about making your own batteries

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/10/29/15056/231

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/9/12/215944/234

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:44:16 PM by wooferhound »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:53:21 PM by wooferhound »

wooliver

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 07:33:19 AM »
i really have to thank those that responded and gave me new avenues of research. i was disappointed the 1922 links was dead, but found another good link to it later! This will be my read for awhile.

Project: homemede batteries out of 3/4? copper tubing and 1/2" zinc plated conduit tubing. Each cell consists of 1 copper tube 5" long and one zinz plate tube 5" long inside the copper. Two 1/4" holes are drilled into the copper tubing an inch from each end. This all needs to be deburred and cleaned well. I wrapped a strip of vinyl tape around each end of the zinc tube building up the diameter for a slip fit. Then sealed the ends with RTV silicone. This seemed to the the most effective method of construction. If eventually i choose to go with a bath type cell the RTV won't be needed. The first itteration was to fill the gap between the tubings with a chlorine solution. 10% liquid clorox (a dillution in itself) and filtered water. I then plugged the fill and vent holes with vinyl tape. Not wanting to waste efforts i filled only 6 cells at first and tied them in series to make a 6.5 volt battery.

Results:

Well, i ran a walkman radio for .4 hours. The load was .03amps. That's .195watts.

The voltage drop seemed to be about a volt. The reader may extrapolate amp/hrs.

All evening i thought about an acid reaction and converting, because it seems acid batteries seem to be more readily recharged. But just in reading this morning, alkaline batteries can too be recharged. The problem with my initail design, is there is no vent for when the cell is being charged. I believe i'll try an alkaline bath next.  

So far the expense of production hasn't scared me off. Performance, admittedely is not good so far. The way i look at it, we all gather our knowledge each differently, so somebody, sometime, will come up with something great. It's not in me to do nothing, so i proceed. Thanks again for the additional information.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 07:33:19 AM by wooliver »

wooliver

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 06:18:03 AM »
think i'll cut/paste the relevant part to the diaries.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:18:03 AM by wooliver »