Author Topic: Would this work?  (Read 1575 times)

keltic88

Would this work?
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:34:02 PM »
Would this work for a home gen standby :D

Really, anybody know anything about this thing?

Thanks,

Red

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:34:02 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Would this work?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:52:24 PM »
What do you want to do with it?

Just a 3 phase induction motor, obviously intended for a vf drive. Presumably 8 pole with fairly high slip.

Do you propose to convert it to pmg at enormous cost and effort or are you hoping to self excite it as an induction generator. In which case you will need a lot of expensive capacitors and the results may be questionable. High pole number motors make poor self excited generators.

Chinese alternators are so cheap that this would be a questionable proposition for anyone not looking for a project.

In general motors are best used as such and if you want a generator buy one especially at such large sizes.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 12:52:24 PM by Flux »

martin1

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 03:20:06 PM »
It seems like this thing can be used both as a motor and as a generator.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:20:06 PM by martin1 »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
YES, If your Godzilla On a treadmill
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 05:47:45 PM »
ummmm,

I think Flux's reply was pretty reasonable. Keep having fun All.

JW

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:47:45 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: YES, If your Godzilla On a treadmill
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 10:21:12 PM »
while were on the subject of Alternators, I have one of those BF20's an 4stroke outboard motor made by Honda, its 20hp, with an 6 amp alternator stock. Its a pull start model with a tiller handle. Only weighs like 106 lbs dry weight.(yes, this should be in the remote living section, the engine has like a 4-star emissions-rating)

Anyhow, its the type with 4 magnets in a radial configuration built into the flywheel. the stock stator is basically a simple single laminated bar with a coil surrounding it. it is configured to reach at least 2 magnets in the flywheel per angular orientation.

The exciter coil for the ignition magneto(on my engine) is basically of the same configuration.

Now, the 12amp stator(that comes on the electric start engines) is in a radial configuration(with 12 poles, but im sure one of the poles is used for the exciter coil, but im not exactly sure), using a 12magnet radial flywheel(it's different than 4 magnet fly wheel that I have). This is different from the charging system that I have, as the exciter coil is not built into the the stator, it is stand alone, and my flywhell has only 4 magnets(there barrium ferrite).

I have obtained a L shaped stator for the charging system(charge coil), it will work with the 4 magnet flywheel that I have stock(my engine is not electric start). But will produce 10-amps, using a 4 magnet flywheel.

The problem is that the boss's cast into the engine block to support the exciter coil and alternator coil(stator) will not accept the L shaped charge coil, since it has a different bolt pattern. I bought this thing as an upgrade kit for my engine.

Although, my engine block does have the cast-in boss's to accept both the 12 amp radial charge coil, and the separate exciter and 6 amp charge coil, the L shaped 10-amp charge coil will not align itself on-center with any of the boss's, with relation to the flywheel.

Here's the catch,

Both the stand-alone exciter coil and 10-amp L shaped charge coil, have proper diameter to fit under the flywheel that I have, it has four magnets. Im relatively confident things are correct in terms of generation capacity, and with the phases and what-not. Also the regulator/diode bridge that I have can handle atleast 12 amps.

The reason I dont just go ahead and use the radial stator, is that, it causes a different waveform to come from the built in exiter coil, which is in-turn dependant on the 12 magnet flywheel, and the connections for the ECM, will not match-up between the electric start versions and non-electric start ones. So to make the flux paths correct for the radial stator using 12 magnets, it opens a whole can of worms.

Do I need an adaptor?

JW  

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:21:12 PM by JW »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:14:50 AM »
Yes looking at the second plate it implies that it may have been used as a grid tie generator.

Any induction motor will generate if driven above sync speed when connected to the grid.

For a stand alone generator you need to supply the magnetising current by capacitors and it is a less stable situation.

If the speed rating is as a generator then it may be 10 pole, you would need to do a bit of investigating to be sure. Not sure why the motor and generator plates have the same speed.

Build yourself a 130kW wind turbine and grid tie it.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:14:50 AM by Flux »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 06:18:32 AM »
hi jack
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:18:32 AM by electrondady1 »

keltic88

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 08:18:26 AM »
BTW - the yard guy said it probably weighs in 3000+lbs and I can get it for $0.50/lb.  But somebody has put a deposit on it before I did.  Waiting...

Not sure if this is gen for me :D

Michigan only allows you to sell back 30kw max (I think), so it might be a little overkill.

Cheers & thanks,

Red

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 08:18:26 AM by keltic88 »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »
Hi Electrondady1,

It was a good try, I figured with all the data I supplied, that someone would research it, then state 'oh you need p/n such and such, it is xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Well I tried any how. :)

JW

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 08:41:10 PM by JW »

snowcrow

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 06:48:32 AM »
 I can't imagine trying to put that thing up on a tower!!  The cost of building a tower for that would be a bit much for a DIY project. It would be great for a DIY Hydro project though!!

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 06:48:32 AM by snowcrow »