Author Topic: Charging batteries.... is this a good idea?  (Read 1087 times)

zephyr

Charging batteries.... is this a good idea?
« on: June 18, 2008, 02:06:00 AM »
My work requires that I drive at least 1-2 hours every day.  So I thought about putting a couple of batteries in my van and charging them as I drive.  When I get home, then have a wire from my inverter that connects to the batteries still in the van (which are now disconnected from the regular charging circuit of the van) and use this to run some lights or appliances in the house.  I have to drive anyway so I figure the van can charge the batteries for a minimal decrease in fuel efficiency.  If this is a bad idea let me now.  But be nice this is my first time posting.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:06:00 AM by (unknown) »

jonas302

Re: Charging batteries.... is this a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 08:23:23 PM »
It would be great if you could keep track of your fuel milage for a week or with and without the extra batteys I don't think it will affect it much but truthfully if you lost even a gallon a I dont think it would be worth it unless of course your off grid $4 here buys almost 4khw of power which if I'm thinking right would be 10 100watt bulbs on or 4 hours

Please post any results if you do it
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:23:23 PM by jonas302 »

joestue

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »
It's still a load on the engine, one thing i did with my Toyota was rewire the alternator regulator to full excition when my foot was on the brake, and engine rpm was above 1000 rpm. didn't see any increase in gas mileage, it's a .1% effect on a truck with no electrical load.

Basically the alternator is 70-50 % efficient, and gasoline is $4 a gallon, the engine operating at 15-20% efficiency at normal high way driving. (28% max at 3/4 of full throttle).

so, it won't save you any money. where i live electric heat at 9 cents/kwh (100% heat) is about the same as heating oil for heat at 80% eff.

so .15 to .2 times .5 to .7 is 14% to 7% gasoline to electric efficiency.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:27:27 PM by joestue »
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 01:06:26 AM »
If you live off grid and need the power it is not a bad idea. If you have grid power and you are looking to save money then I have my doubts. I don't think you will see the increase in fuel cost but I doubt that you will recover the battery cost.

Battery cost kills all these energy saving schemes, unless battery cost comes down or grid energy prices rocket then the prospects of saving anything over grid power costs are doubtful.

Flux

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:06:26 AM by Flux »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 09:00:41 AM »
Hi,

I think you would probably lose a little overall.  Electricity is worth about 10 cents a KWH.  Gasoline at $4 per gallon is about 11 cents a KWH, but your efficiency in converting gasoline energy to electric energy is low.  So, I think you would probably lose on the deal.

But, a variation on this would be to install an insulated water tank on the car, and use the engine waste heat to heat the water.  You could use the hot water for space heating or showers when you get back home.  You would have to think about how the extra weight would effect gas mileage.  I had an RV once that used this system for water heating -- it worked very well.

If you could figure a way to install a sort of regenerative braking system that charged your batteries when you brake, that would also work, since its capturing waste energy that would just go into heating your brakes up.  

Gary

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 09:00:41 AM by GaryGary »

SteveCH

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:55:34 PM »
Way  back in the 70s, when alternative power [electricity production] was nowhere near the sophistication available today, there were kits one could buy to do something like this, i.e. have the car battery serve as an elec. source when one returned home in the car. Or use an additional battery, such as in your case. I never did this, not enough power and not enough driving.... Plus, you need some pretty hefty cables/wires to run from your car to the inverter. Unless the inverter is right outside the car and then you are running 110 v. on into the house, which wouldn't need huge gauge wire.

Like I said, I never did this, but reports I read indicated people were pretty low on power unless all they ran with the system was maybe a small radio and a light or two. These days, a laptop would work, too. In addition to big wires, be sure to secure those batteries well. In a collision, things could be very bad with acid flying around, or the weight of lead/acid batteries hitting the back of your head. Or just spilling acid inside the car and ruining stuff. Personally, I'd spring for even a small, relatively inexpensive solar panel instead. No gasoline or diesel costs, ever.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:55:34 PM by SteveCH »