Author Topic: a first time project ?  (Read 851 times)

terryt

a first time project ?
« on: July 07, 2008, 02:48:51 AM »
hello everyone - I have done a little bit of reading and have saved a few interesting links on the subject, but I was wondering if it would be possible and/or worthwhile to construct a small wind generator that I could use to connect directly to a resistive heating element (to heat my garage - even a few degrees more than ambient would be ok) or maybe something I could switch to run a set of patio lights in the summer. I don't have the cash at the present to make a full blown system, I just want something to get started that can do something useful for me, teach me some fundamentals,  and not cost a lot of cash. It seems to me that running a wind generator and coupling it directly to a heating element could be done without using a set of batteries. Am I dreaming, or is something like this possible as a beginner's project ?  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:48:51 AM by (unknown) »

stephent

Re: a first time project ?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 01:21:23 AM »
That would be a good first project....the patio lights that is. (use LED type lights)

Heating a one car garage/shop even a couple of degrees in the winter would probably be a slightly larger project. To say the least.

A small little ceramic heater is usually rated about 1kw or slightly larger--and they are maybe 6" x 6" x 6" sized....thats a fair sized starter genny to  build for the first time. And "might" give you that "few" degree rise.

Go for some led lights--but you will still probably need a battery to store the juice when the wind ain't blowing for the lights at night.

(but you WILL probably spend more $$ doing even that then simply going to Home Depot or similar and just buying a solar type set of lights)

But none-the-less, if you want to investigate wind power...just go for it...you will probably never "save" any $$, but you should have a lot of fun and learn a bunch along the way.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:21:23 AM by stephent »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:46:08 AM »
If you want a few lights and are prepared to pay more in the long run to run them then a small wind generator is a good project. If you can get free batteries then you could even save money.

Heating is a different thing. I doubt that less than 1kW for hours at a time will do much to the temperature of a garage. This requires an 8ft turbine running in a storm on a decent wind site or something much larger to average 1kW in lower winds. You may get peaks of 1kW from a modest machine, but the average power from wind is normally only a small fraction of the peak. A decent well sited 8ft machine would be hard pushed to average much over 100W most of the time.

If you have grid power then you are in the land of fun rather than serious cost saving unless you go seriously big for heating or grid tie.

Many enjoy producing a bit of power and it becomes a hobby, but if this is the case don't look too closely at the economics.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:46:08 AM by Flux »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 04:02:02 PM »
It's easier to do heating with Solar Thermal panels than it is with Solar power panels. Basically a big flat box with clear glass on the sun facing side and painted Black on the inside. Then blow air air through the unit into the garage.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:02:02 PM by wooferhound »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:20:44 PM »
I agree with Woof, do some reading over at builditsolar.com. Aluminum soda cans painted black, some plywood, an old window, etc... Google "solar hot air collector"

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/Space_Heating.htm

Solar hot-air collectors can be made from scrounged scrap. If you wanted to...you could also build an insulated box with stacked masonry blocks inside that draw heat from the collectors when the sun is out with mostly thermosiphon, possibly adding a small fan to increase collection.

Even during a couple hours of cloudy sky, you could draw "some" heat from the heat store in the evening when you're home from work and you want to work on the car.

Lotsa trouble for a small benefit, but can be done very cheap.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:20:44 PM by spinningmagnets »