Author Topic: Winding Plan for a 18-16 Alt  (Read 810 times)

pxgator

Winding Plan for a 18-16 Alt
« on: July 20, 2008, 07:55:44 PM »
   Hi everyone. I obtained a few 24 VDC 300 watt brushless motors and disconnected the brains to see what they could do as a PMA. There are 16 poles and 18 coils. The coils are quadrafilar wound (4 in hand) with 21 gauge wire. A 16 pole rotor spins inside of these coils. I hooked the 3 phase output to an appropriate bridge rectifier setup. With the motor coupled to a drill press and the rectifier hooked to a fully charged 200 amp hour 12 volt battery setup I was able to get 22 amps at 2700 rpm. Good power but too many revs.

So, it seems like this would be a good motor for a rewind since there are only about 6 turns on each coil form and I think I could get about 30 turns of 18 or 20 gauge on them. I used Dan B's method of CAD, except that I used pencils instead of crayons, to draw mags spaced every 22.5 degrees and coils spaced at 20 degrees. It seems like the correct winding for each phase would be as follows where each coil is designated as SE for start end or ES for end start with all coils wound the same direction.

SE-ES-SE-SE-ES-SE    I have stripped one of the motors clean and it is ready for a rewind but I thought it would be a good idea to get some advice on my assumptions. I could not tell how the motor was wound to start with as I had to use carb cleaner to dissolve the glue holding the coil forms on the laminates and stripping everything got real messy.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 07:55:44 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Winding Plan for a 18-16 Alt
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »
You might be able to modify the windings to get pairs in series from the 4 in hand winding.

Nutshell version would seem to be to swap the ends of 2 single strands with each other. Should double the volts / rpm ratio.

Or not. Maybe others have a clue?

Tom

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:29:27 PM by TomW »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Clarification
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 02:43:19 PM »
Thats confusing.

Sorry.

I meant to take each of those strands and reverse its connection points. Brushed motors would be tough but as its 3 phase so maybe you can get at the ends?

This effectively puts half those windings in series with the other half in that coil. You would need to do all coils, too.

Hope that makes sense.

Tom

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:43:19 PM by TomW »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Winding Plan for a 18-16 Alt
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 02:45:03 PM »
I am not clear on the whole thing,

However,

Might want to look all Jerry's posts about rewinding GE ECMs?

G-
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:45:03 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller