Author Topic: Xantrex C60  (Read 2457 times)

tmcmurran

Xantrex C60
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:02:52 PM »
Quick question since things seem to not be working out as planned with the Xantrex C60 running as a diversion load.

I have the wind turbine connected to the turbines controller, then to the battery bank. The C60 is connected to the battery bank as instructed by Xantrex support.

EQ/LVR - set to manual

MODE - Should this jumper be set to CHARGE CONTROL (I am thinking CHARGE) or to LOAD CONTROL.

VOLTAGE is pretty straight forward.

With the BULK and FLOAT setting potentiometer settings I am lost. I have had the batteries hit 15.9v (seemed a little too high) recently with the dump load on the turbine controller going strong. Now do I need to set the BULK to 14.8 and the FLOAT to 13.5 as stated in the manual, or do I need to play a little to compensate for the Whisper 100 controller settings.

I have the LCD on the Whisper Charge Controller that offers the ability to adjust the voltage as well.

Just really do not want to toast my batteries, but wish to get as much as I can out of all the control options I currently have.  Currently we are in fall on the Atlanic, and that means steady winds daily over 25mph.  We do not live at the location where the off grid set up is located, and will be running the diversion to run the infloor heating system once the bank is fully charged.

Any help or advice would be great.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:02:52 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Xantrex C60
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »
What are the amps the windmill makes?

What are the amps the load takes?

G-
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:09:35 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

tmcmurran

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:51:57 PM »
Well it is a Whisper 100.  rated 900 watts, but has gone to 1230 in the right conditions.  And the heater is a 600 watt 12v water heating element connected to the C60's dump load.  Sorry if I am looking a tad lost here :(  Thats the reason ya ask questions, or you never get to learn.  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:51:57 PM by tmcmurran »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 03:07:48 PM »
Simple.

Sometimes the windmill makes 1230W.

The heater only supplies a load of 600W.

The battery gets the other 630W as a charge current.

(Ohm's Law)

The (100A) windmill is making more amps than the (50A) load can dump.

The (50A) extra amps "go into the battery" and the battery overcharges.

The battery voltage goes up.

The C60 can not take enough amps and send it to enough load to keep a battery voltage under control, for your 1230W windmill.

There are options, but the best for you is probably 1 more C60 and another 600W heater element.

G-

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:07:48 PM by ghurd »

tmcmurran

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 03:18:50 PM »
Ok, thanks.  Now I get it.  Kinda had me running around trying to find a round spot in the corner to hide in there for a bit.

You are the first person to offer a simple straight forward answer.

You have my thanks and praise :)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:18:50 PM by tmcmurran »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »
I believe it is easier to think in Amps, and then use Ohm's Law on everything.

Do not run out and buy a 2000W heater/resistor without using Ohm's Law, then Watt's Law.

It tends to backfire in the wallet region without some math.

G-

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:41:35 PM by ghurd »

tmcmurran

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:31:14 AM »
Well it looks like the plan is starting to fall into place.  I will be running with 2 600 watt 12v heating elements for submersion use.  This should take care of the upper limits that the Whisper can put out in these fall/winter wind conditions.  But did have a strange thing going on yesterday when we took a run out to the other house to check in on things prior to this weekends visit/re-siding :(

The mill was in brake control and the controllers dump load was stone cold.  Batteries were fully charged though, and as soon as I put draw on the batteries the controller and the mill sped up and showed charge again.

Now I did go and drop in the optional LCD control panel last week, and I may have my upper and lower levels a little mixed up.  Problem has been only so much time to play with settings before needing to leave.  At least I will be able to sit and monitor things over a 48 hour period this weekend to see where it is all going wrong.  Think thats been my largest problem so far.  You really have to hate rushing things that you want/need to run properly for a week at a time with no intervention.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 09:31:14 AM by tmcmurran »