Author Topic: New with lots of questions  (Read 944 times)

wcarnold2

New with lots of questions
« on: October 23, 2008, 02:46:03 AM »
I have been reading some posts on this site and others and have decided to scratch the idea of using an elctric motor as a generator and build an axial flux system. I am new to this, but I am pretty handy in many different fields. I comprehend how to build it pretty good, but i have some design ?s. After i figure out my working rpms how do I figure what size magnets, # of coils etc... Also if i use the axial flux system, if i am using it on a power source that goes back and forth, will the reversing of direction(back and forth) reverse polarity and damage batteries? I have access to all i need to build a rather large alternator on hand but i need to know where and what size magnets i need to get. I am looking to build at least a 10 footer(If i use wind) Well looking forward to hearing from yall. Thanks
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:46:03 AM by (unknown) »

harley1782000

• I thought so too.....
Re: New with lots of questions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:31:32 PM »
This may help you with the coils and magnets.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/10/7/124436/787

Jim

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:31:32 PM by harley1782000 »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: New with lots of questions
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:22:17 AM »
The output will be rectified so it doesn't matter which way it rotates. As you seem to have a strange application in mind you will have to design from basics.

There is enough details here to do it from scratch but it is scattered all over the place. Hugh Pigott's books will give you a good starting point but they are not specifically aimed at strange applications and you will need a thorough understanding of what you are doing to adapt things.

Flux

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 01:22:17 AM by Flux »