Author Topic: VCR motor  (Read 942 times)

acidman

VCR motor
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:05:25 PM »
Hey all please help me with this

As far as my knowledge i read the magnets should be place near the winding coils and when the magnet moves it creates electricity, in the toymill experiment page there is a motor of VCR a bad and a good motor.

My question is i have extracted the same bad motor from my VCR and the magnet is also very powerful and coils are in good shape, i have read that the thinner the wire the more current on slower magnet rpm or rotor you may call it. the question i have is that if i put a strong shaft in the magnet and screw the coil plate on the wood and than balance the whole thing wont it provide me good enough volts to charge the 12 volt battery, the coil has approximetly 100 rounds and there are six 6 coils on the stator plate just have to change the connection.

Please give me suggestions

Acidman

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:05:25 PM by (unknown) »

acidman

Re: VCR motor
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:19:39 AM »

i have a similar motor the one which says bad,

but i really think it can work very nicely

what do you ppl suggest

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:19:39 AM by acidman »

acidman

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 08:22:47 AM »

uploaded again

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:22:47 AM by acidman »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »
The magnets in there are anything but powerful.

The problem with the "bad" motor is eddy currents in the metal plate that the coils are mounted on.

The drag robs much of the power available.

I expect well suited blades to the alternator part, will never be free of eddy current induced stall, and the coils won't reach 12V.

They have very smooth bearings.  The reason it won't keep spinning free is the eddy currents act like an electrical brake.

The only hope, if you want to try something with that motor, is carefully remove the coils (easier than it looks), mount them on a laminated iron disk, and hope for something good enough for LEDs or AA battery charging.

Better bet, is do the above, then remove the crappy magnet disk in the rotor, and replace with 8 neos (NSNSNSNS), maybe from a hobby store or 4 junk HDs.

G-

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:06:14 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller