Author Topic: Need info for wind power on Ice Shack  (Read 802 times)

oakwood

Need info for wind power on Ice Shack
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
(blank)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:29:00 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: Need info for wind power on Ice Shack
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 09:45:05 AM »
Search this site and Otherpower.com and you will find plenty. There are several books available also.

Ron

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:45:05 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

vawtman

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:15:50 AM »
 Hi Oakwood

My ice shack is 6x8 also.It's made out of 1/4in plywood and uninsulated.I painted the whole thing flat black so even on cloudy days no heat is needed.It has 2'x 4' window for lighting.

I thought of building a small vawt for it for lighting.Would be cool.For heating the best is a Mr Heater.To try to heat with a turbine it may need to be sized to large for your shack and you may tipup over :)

Ghurd a member here likes little turbines and builds neat dumps for them.Check him out.

Mark

P.s don't sleep overnight with the heater on Bad headaches in the a.m.However i have yet to prove if was the heater or the fuel i consumed.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:15:50 AM by vawtman »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 11:21:14 AM »
Light are easy.  Crappy ebay 12V LED bulbs should give a decent service life for anybody crazy enough to ice fish.  Stepper motor windmill (or VW solar panel) would keep the battery charged for most people.  Depends on how much the light is used.

"Small" is relative.  100W is not exactly small.

The heat output of 100W is 340BTUs/hour.

I recall reading a human makes 350BTUs/hour at rest. If that is correct, then the windmill needs to make about 100W to heat the shack as much as your own body heat.

Paint it black outside, white inside, insulate it, and a Mr Heater (whatever it is).

G-

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:21:14 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller