Author Topic: Voltage regulator  (Read 806 times)

ejl7007

Voltage regulator
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:30:02 PM »
Hi,

Where can I find a voltage regulator?  All alternators sold in auto-parts stores have built-in regulators in them.  I am afraid that if the alternator that I'm trying to build exceeds the voltage that I'm hoping to get it may be of no use as it will damage my equipment.  I just want to ensure that no matter how high the rpms, the voltage will remain the same i.e. 13.8 VDC

Cheers

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:30:02 PM by (unknown) »

Electron Pump

Re: Voltage regulator
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 07:42:14 PM »
  Man the way I figure it works is that the battery itself is a voltage regulator. After your genny passes charge voltage, the rest from there is increasing amprage.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:42:14 PM by Electron Pump »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:55:27 PM »
The power coming from the wind turbines your likely to see here is known as wild ac.... Its called that for a reason.

It is the wind that will ultimately dictate what happens with any given wind setup. We tend not to try to control the output, just try to use it up as it comes to us.

If we were to somehow "voltage regulate" it , we would run the very real risk of it getting away and destroying itself.... so we don't do that either.

What we do do is to charge the battery with all the mill can muster, until it gets to your 13.8v, and then using a small electronic switching device, we divert or load the system to keep the battery voltage at 13.8v. If we divert or load too much, we lower the battery voltage, if we don't use enough, the battery voltage will continue to rise.

So the diverter can drive a load.. proportional to what we have left over from charging the battery.

The load I refer to is called a "dump load". It is usually an array of power resistors, whose lot in life is to burn up excess power.

A small unit like the one that Ghurd sells http://ghurd.info/ (with appropriate resistors) will do the job of stopping your battery from overcharging, by hiving off the excess power and diverting/dumping it into a resistor array. (I think Ghurd can help with these as well)

In my system, when battery float is reached in my EV batts, they turn the mill off by shorting the stator with 150amp normally closed relays. They do this in any wind... but you need a stiff alternator for this kind of thing. Most use small 2x1x.5" magnets, and they wont handle this too well unattended, so most people here use a dump controller and resistive load.

.............oztules

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:55:27 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:59:08 AM »
Oz;

Nice rundown on this subject.

It seems a common newbie misunderstanding to assume a parallel between turbine regulation and vehicle alternator regulation. Vehicle systems control the alternator and turbine systems control the batteries. Your post explains "why".

It is not an obvious difference but this should clear it up I think for many.

Maybe whoever is writing the FAQ updates could include this in there someplace?

Thanks for sharing it.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:59:08 AM by TomW »