Author Topic: Zoning and codes for wind power in residental areas  (Read 1140 times)

solarwind

Zoning and codes for wind power in residental areas
« on: March 16, 2009, 04:38:38 AM »
I live in Corpus Christi, Texas the second city next to Chicago with the most wind in the USA. Our electricity is the highest in the nation due to deregulation. We have plenty of providers to choose or as I say it...plenty who will rip you off!

The City will not allow any residential areas with less than 1 1/2 acres to put up a wind energy device with the thought that a wind propeller device might crash down on another property during high winds or hurricane here in the area. They think that it needs to be high in the air to catch the flow or air current. I understand this but I have good winds just ten feet high up in my back yard due to the constant wind direction 90% of the time and how my house is situated. Our wind most of the year is roughly 15 to 20 miles per hour.  I want to put up a 4" by 4' squirrel cage type device with inner turbine turning and the outer directing the wind to help force the air flow. Has anyone come across these rules and regs. here?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:38:38 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Zonin cods for wind power in residental area
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:21:55 PM »
Good news?  Or bad news?

The swept area is 1.33 square feet.

Betz Limit. 20MPH winds. Etc.

The device you are talking about is good to charge a few cell phones or digital cameras.

The JD Green yard windmill has the ability to make more power.

I doubt they have the slightest concern about your proposed windmill.

G-

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 11:21:55 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Zoning and codes for wind power in residental
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 07:26:22 AM »
Funny, folks will go onto the internet for information that could easily be found by requesting a copy of said areas zoning laws. Being public law they have to provide you a copy but it might cost to get it made. Or you can go there and read it.

Makes no sense to ask [or take] advice about local rules from folks that may have never been near the area.

As G said you are talking about a miniature, tiny turbine nobody will know or care.

Just from here.

Tom

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:26:22 AM by TomW »

RandomJoe

• Joe's Time-Waster
Re: Zoning and codes for wind power
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »
Google gave me the following for "Corpus Christi, TX ordinances":

http://www.cctexas.com/?fuseaction=main.view&page=563

Might search through there.

My city has theirs online as well, and as I remembered from way back when they ban wind turbines as well.  The ordinance doesn't come right out and say so, but the way it reads implies the concern was - as you mention - a turbine on a tower tall enough to "properly" work is GOING to fall on a neighbor's house / property if it were to fall thanks to the small lots we have.

Of course, the law was written back in the early '80s when turbines were generally larger, noisier, and less efficient.  I decided I'd go ahead and put up my tiny, quiet Air Breeze since I was going to keep it low enough behind the house (about 18 feet high right now) to not be seen from the street.  (Besides, with all my ham antennas who's going to really notice?!)  I knew I would never get it high enough to get clear wind - thanks to the hill I'm right on the north side of, I'd require a good 60-70 feet just to get to the tops of the trees.  No way I'm putting a 100 foot tower in this yard!

So hopefully (and so far) no one cares or notices.  If they do say something, I may try talking to someone to modify the ordinance so it reads something like "must fall within your property line" or such.  The neighboring town has an ordinance worded like that, so perhaps they'd go for it.  Of course, blade failure would be an issue - that's still got a chance of hitting a neighboring house...

I can't say for your particular situation, of course, but you may be disappointed in what kind of performance you can get from 10 feet high.  I thought I had pretty decent wind - just lower in strength than I would have at the top of the hill - but have found that while it's strong enough to spin the turbine, it's often just turbulent enough to keep it oscillating around a bit which causes it to repeatedly stall out.  Might not really matter for a VAWT.

On occasion I'll get a wind that is relatively straight and clean (pretty much limited to a north wind for me) and the turbine cranks right a long.  But everything else is quite stop-and-go.  But that's okay - it's still more fun to watch than the solar panels, even though they beat it by an order of magnitude for production! :)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 02:58:16 PM by RandomJoe »

Electron Pump

Re: Zoning and codes for wind
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:27:01 PM »
  I say put it up and see if they say anything. If they do, say, "no I dont have a wind turbine. I have a weather vane." I can get away with a few things others cant though. My father developed the subdivision I live in.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:27:01 PM by Electron Pump »