Author Topic: Worried about resins  (Read 874 times)

kihon

Worried about resins
« on: March 16, 2009, 05:09:49 PM »
The more I think about it, the more Im worried about the use of resins in the stator. If this is produced in a third world country I just know that some people are not going to take the necessary precautions and people are going to be exposed to fumes and what not.

I know that the resin allows the most efficient use of the air gap, but compressing the coils in to the thinnest stator possible, and holds them in place to prevent/reduce vibration. Im just trying to work out if there is an alternative which is safer.

I remember seeing somewhere someone had a plastic frame for the stator, which the coils were threaded into. (Again I can see that this will mean the coils are not wound very tightly.) The other option is if there is a less dangerous resin which can be used.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Kihon.

P.S. The main target for this project is my original homeland, so I know how they ignore safety issues sometimes. And I dont like posting just to thank people for responding, but I just want to say I really, REALLY, appreciate all the help I get from you guys.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:09:49 PM by (unknown) »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Worried about resins
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 06:21:27 PM »
 wood can be used for stators.

there has been some recent speculation on alternate materials  lately including cement

perhaps raw hide lashings could be used to bind the coils tightly.

it  works for drums !

of course on my home planet human remains are often used to create windmills

especially the vertical axis types.

that design not for the sqeemish !  

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:21:27 PM by electrondady1 »

geronimo

Re: Worried about resins
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 06:37:07 AM »
I use wooden stators, and wind the coils on wooden pegs, either round or square, depending on the magnets. I mortice or drill the stator for a good push-fit of the peg and adjust the coils for uniform height before glueing in. I use wooden cheek pieces on the pegs, of the exact size and shape of the finished coil diameter, pot the coils with waterproof glue, then cut off the cheek at the magnet end. A little extra protruding piece of peg is a coil-saver, because clashing magnets hit the wood first without damaging the coils.

I have used MDF, OSB, plywood and UPVC plastic for the rotors, and also for the stators, bolting on rings of iron behing the magnets.

So, it can be done (I am also, perversely using wooden bearings. but that is another story.)

How, or if, this approach would scale up into the 500watt class, I can't say (yet).

Still exploring and experimenting. Good luck.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:37:07 AM by geronimo »