Author Topic: Adding a second windmill to my system  (Read 1018 times)

Electron Pump

Adding a second windmill to my system
« on: April 07, 2009, 05:30:28 AM »
  When I first started posting here on the discussion board, I asked a question. It was about multiple small windmills. Well I have two now. I'm thinking of putting up the second one.

One of the comments on the earlier post said you would only get power from the windmill that is producing the most. Well the one I have now will produce more than the other. If I cant add the current to the current from the first one than I dont want to attempt this.

Now I know if the second windmill had its own battery bank I could get power from both at the same time but is there any way short of this?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:30:28 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Adding a second windmill to my system
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:42:48 AM »
"One of the comments on the earlier post said you would only get power from the windmill that is producing the most."

That was either wrong or you asked some misleading question such as connecting them in series.

You can parallel any number of sources to a battery, windmills, solar or pig powered and they will all contribute their own output just as they would singly.

Flux One of the comments on the earlier post said you would only get power from the windmill that is producing the most.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:42:48 AM by Flux »

Electron Pump

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:47:46 AM »
  Thankx Flux. That sure makes more scence to me. They both will need their own isolator diodes, wont they?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:47:46 AM by Electron Pump »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:57:05 AM »
Yes if they are dc generators . If they are alternators the rectifiers needed to convert to dc already do any isolating and don't need an additional; blocking diode.

flux

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:57:05 AM by Flux »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:18:42 AM »
Pump;

Exactly as Flux says, multiple parallel sources are fine as long as you isolate them either with the bridges they use already or blocking diodes. From memory [feeble] I think that multiple turbine reference was to a pair of turbines in series which changes things a good bit.

I know this to be true because currently at this very moment I am pushing about 6 amps from 2 turbines and about the same from solar into one battery bank. Both turbines feed DC from about 300 feet away on a common pair of cables and the solar feeds in from 50 feet away on its own pair.

I use additional isolation at the batteries in order to watch the voltages from sources as separate values for logging.

Just the experience from here.

Tom

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 07:18:42 AM by TomW »

Electron Pump

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:15:31 AM »
  Great!! Good show guys! Thats the kinda stuff I like to hear. I had given that other motor to the golf car guys as colladeral for core charges on batteries I've bought from them. I had to trade an old compressor tank for the cores to take back to them to get my ginn-ginn back.

I'm gonna tie her in. Got the place picked out for her.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:15:31 AM by Electron Pump »