Author Topic: Wood stove thermogenerator?  (Read 1357 times)

mattak

Wood stove thermogenerator?
« on: April 12, 2009, 06:10:14 AM »
Hello I am new to this site but am very impressed already.   I am looking for ideas for my cabin in alaska off the grid. I initially installed propane lights but am looking at adding a battery bank.  Summer is no problem with the 20 hours of sun we get but winter is a problem, because we might have 4 hours and it is often cloudy.  I saw this ad on the local craigslist and checked the website and it looked promising enought that I ordered the 12v one.  Wondering if anyone has seen one of these in action.  http://www.tegpower.com  Sine our wood stove is going 24/7 when we are at the cabin it could be a nice option for keeping a bank topped off.  

Thanks

Matt

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:10:14 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Wood stove thermogenerator?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:44:36 AM »
Hi Matt,

"when we are at the cabin" puts a kink in it.

If you Google your butt off, you should find a factory-made propane-powered Peltier-based generator.  The reviews of that unit were good, if I recall correctly.

I can tell you it is not a good idea to get the modules too hot.

"Google Search the board" (top right) for Peltier, Alaska, and India.

It will not be easy to find, but a lot of related info is here.

Might consider a small windmill...

If you googled back far enough, I think you will have found Peltiers are expensive, low output, and not exactly long lasting.

I don't have much of a decent or windy place for a windmill, but it was a better option for a battery bank being watched daily.

G-

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:44:36 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller