Author Topic: quad rotor  (Read 817 times)

windspeed

quad rotor
« on: May 20, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »
I searched the board looking for any reference to quad rotors for axial flux couldn't find any

I would be surprised if this had not come up before

maybe someone could point me in the right direction

Windspeed
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:27:31 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: quad rotor
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:32:16 AM »
It is more for less, more money for less performance.

Someone may have links to past stories.

Ron

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:32:16 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: quad rotor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:36:50 AM »
If you search it out you might find past discussion about it.  The 'idea' comes up all the time, and it's been done.

In short...

imagine a single alternator with two rotors and 12 magnets on each rotor and say... 9 coils in the stator.  It will make X amount of power at some given rpm.

You could double it up, have 4 rotors each with 12 magnets (so 48 poles overall) and two stators each with 9 coils... and it would make twice as much power (2x power) at the same given rpm.

or you could build a larger diameter machine with the same resources (24 magnets on each rotor and a single stator with 18 coils in it).  In this case, with each revolution of the alternator each coil will see twice as many pole changes, so each coil would be producing twice the power as it would've in the smaller machine ~ and you have twice as many coils, so at the same rpm you'd get 4x the power.

So doubling up alternators doesn't make good use of resources and doesn't make much sense, unless for some reason the diameter of the alternator is an issue.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:36:50 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.