Author Topic: Zero crossing / wave forms  (Read 2120 times)

vlloyd

Zero crossing / wave forms
« on: June 04, 2009, 05:24:30 AM »
Being a newbie to alternative energy, specifically the making of a wind turbine. I would like to know if any one may answer a few questions relating to the size, number, and placement magnets. Given that there are gaps between the magnets and coils in the castings. How would the most efficient placement occur? Also would anyone happen to have available some pictures of what the 3 phase wave forms would look like on an oscilloscope?

Thank you

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:24:30 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Zero crossing / wave forms
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 01:52:17 AM »
I don't think there is an answer to your question. Many different variations in spacing and coil size work perfectly well. Somewhere there must be an optimum but I doubt that anyone has done a computer analysis sufficiently accurately to reach the perfect arrangement.

The most efficient winding may turn out to be a multilayer winding with overlapped coils and this would need very different spacings. It is also more difficult to wind and requires a lot of skill to do it. In most cases the end result will be no better and in the hands of less than a very skilled winder it will be worse.

I could post pictures of waveforms if I could be bothered to transfer data from an a old computer but it would be rather pointless.

I can show you cases where the 3 phase waveform is virtually the ideal sine waves displaced 120 deg and I can show you versions where the 3rd and 5th harmonic are as large as the fundamental, some in phase and some out of phase. the results are very flat topped waveforms and very peaky ones. When this is rectified and used to charge a battery it is of little consequence as the rectifier murders the waveform anyway.

None of these alternators produce anything remotely resembling sine waves into the ac side of the rectifier. For star connection it makes no real difference but it does play havoc with delta connection and that is best avoided in any circuit with non linear loads.

Don't get too hung up on voltage waveforms, altering magnet and coil spacings will have an enormous effect on the voltage waveform but has very little effect on the power into a battery.

Flux

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:52:17 AM by Flux »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:53:16 AM »
vlloid

it is temping to say in regards to the magnets,

the more the merrier and bigger is better

but matching the alternator to the propeller is the key to success.

there is a search engine "google search the board" that gives access to all the postings and answers  over the years.

our host, danb builds some very good alternators .

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:53:16 AM by electrondady1 »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:57:08 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

vlloyd

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:51:48 AM »
Hey Flux,

Thank you for the info, I was so hung up on phase angles and placement that I didn't realize that it made that much difference. I was also reading some of the other posts in regards to the output voltage not being higher than the battery. So the circuit is basically current dependant? I can see where this will work but, I am so used to the idea of brute force charging of a battery.

Once again thanks,

Vlloyd

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:51:48 AM by vlloyd »

vlloyd

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »
This is an extreamly clean wave form. Was it produced by an wind turbine?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:54:23 AM by vlloyd »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:43:10 PM »
naa , i used a program to create it.

you wont see three waves with a scope .
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:43:10 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)