Author Topic: wiring delema  (Read 882 times)

harleypanrider

wiring delema
« on: September 14, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »
hi all im working on my 1st windcharger to charge batterys i have 24 2 volt batterys out of a phone company i plan on setting up as 12 volt cause thats what i have 4 inverters i plan on putting 2 chargers on top of a building 1 is a treadmill moter the 2nd is av permanit magnic moter my delema is how do i keep the wires coming from chargers to batterys from tangling up or getting tight from the charger spining around seaching 4 the wind? the only thing i can think of is somthing they used to put in grain bins for the stiriator moters but there like 100.00 and im tring to scounge as much of this stuff as i can cause im sure there will be things i need yet that ill probly have to bye that i havent thought of yet anybody have any ideas? great site ive been reading posts here for quite some time and have learned alot thanks in advance
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:30:00 AM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: wiring delema
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:28:27 PM »
Try using google to search the site.  This has been discussed a number of times.

A few people go to the trouble of putting slip rings into the design.  But most just let the wire hang down the tower with a bit of slack and include a weatherproof plug-outlet combo near the base.

Unless you have a turbulent site (or a dust devil sits on the mill for a while) the mill will mostly turn back-and-forth as the wind shifts but not spin around and wind up the cord.  Every few months (on a calm day so it won't run away while you're futzing with it) you unplug the mill, plug in a shorting plug to keep it from taking off, unwind any accumulated full-turns, and plug it back in.

You probably don't want to depend on this method if the mill is unattended for months at a time, like at a vacation home.  But if it's where you live you should be fine.  Check it every few days, then every few weeks and after any big storms, to see how it behaves.  Eventually you'll have a good idea of how often your particular site and mill needs unwinding (like maybe three or four times a year or less if your site is typical).

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:28:27 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »