Author Topic: Compensating for long, narrow magnets  (Read 786 times)

ejl7007

Compensating for long, narrow magnets
« on: November 04, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »
My dual rotors have neo mags that are 4"x1"x1" 16 mags to a 12 coil setup.  I was told  by flux that using long narrow mags are best suited for radial designs as oppossed to axial, due to a huge leaking flux at the edge of the rotors where the ends of the mags are spaced much further apart compared to the center of the rotor. There is an imbalance.  Square or round mags would've been more suitable.  However, since i spent all this money and I don't want to discard the mags that I have now, I was thinking of perhaps adding more mags i.e. 1" cube neos on the edges of my existing neos as if to form a "T" would help stop the flux leakage therefore generating more power. I got that idea after seeing the following post:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2009/3/2/171331/4786

You'll see that he uses 3 neos in a "T" shape configuration.  However If I do that perhaps i'll need to redesign my stator from scratch and make coils that are rather triangular as opposed to the "oval" shaped coils i am currently using...

Any thoughts?

EJL

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:07:27 AM by (unknown) »

joestue

Re: Compensating for long, narrow magnets
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »
Can you buy 2 inch by 1/2 inch by 1 inch thick magnets and place them on either side of the 4 inch magnets?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:17:01 PM by joestue »
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.