Author Topic: 48 Volt Desulfator with Morningstar TS-60  (Read 1678 times)

MagZ

48 Volt Desulfator with Morningstar TS-60
« on: December 16, 2009, 06:03:06 PM »
Hi, I am looking for a good quality desulfator for a 48 volt forklift battery. Any recommendations?

I also was wondering if the desulfator would interfere with my Morningstar/Tristar TS-60 diversion controller.

Any help and input is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Manne

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:03:06 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: 48 Volt Desulfator with Morningstar TS-60
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:26:12 AM »
This is a very grey area.

You alone can decide whether these pulse desulphators work but I would be very reluctant to sting the charge controller with high voltage spikes. Does the manufacturer expect such things to be done to it?. You could no doubt make suitable filters to prevent the spikes reaching the controller and if it was mine I certainly would rather than take chances. Ferrite rings round the leads and the controller input filtering may be enough but I don't know the detailed circuits of the controller.

Probably loads won't be too bothered as the long cable inductance and capacitance will dilute the pulse but the controller should be on short direct leads to the battery.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:26:12 AM by Flux »

MagZ

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:44:02 AM »

Thanks for your input Flux, it is appreciated! I guess I could disconnect the battery and use the desulfator in a battery maintenace cycle every so often. According to the local CAT store and a battery repair place in Montreal that I talked to, all seem to recommend the use of a desulfator on that kind of forklift battery. Of course they are also selling them....lol...  That is why I am asking for advice!

Has any one else used one on their battery(s)..?

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated!

Cheers, Manne

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:44:02 AM by MagZ »

rossw

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
I've had a 48V megapulse across the terminals of my bank from day 1. My inverter/charger is right above the batteries, the cables are less than 1 metre of 35 sq mm (superflex welding cable), and it's never caused any issues.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:33:09 PM by rossw »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:41:57 AM »
It's not so much of an issue with inverter/chargers as they have monster input capacitors that should block any pulse. I am not sure that pwm dump controllers have such things and in fact without inductors they can't have. As long as the pulses don't damage the mosfets or the control circuit it may be fine.

I suspect your desulphator would be far more effective if you included ferrite rings around your inverter cable, the short cable loop must be diverting some of the pulse, your loop inductance is probably comparable with that of the desulphator itself.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:41:57 AM by Flux »