Author Topic: 16awg wire, 12 magnets per rotor 10' turbine  (Read 1978 times)

(unknown)

16awg wire, 12 magnets per rotor 10' turbine
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:11:41 PM »
48v turbine build.

I had read a post by DanB, of course I can't find the post, that he now recommends 16awg in the 10' turbine stator.  I also read a post by Flux suggesting the 10' turbine may not be optimal with 24 magnets.  My two questions:

1. Would I, in fact, be better off with the 16awg ( already purchased ) wiring in our stators?

2. Should I add an additional coil per phase and 4 extra magnets with this 10' diameter turbine?

My guess after reading the " Homebrew Wind Power " book and this board.

The larger wire will fit and will decrease resistance as well as reduce heat in the stator.  Using the 1"x2"x.5" magnets as I have ( 40 quantity n42 ) already purchased, I get the feeling more magnets could be useful in two ways power from the 10' blades and a larger performance map relating to rpm.  I do wonder if by adding this extra coil per phase, the increased resistance will heat the 16awg wire in these coils and therefore require a 15awg wire.  So, I guess I should ask what Flux may have been referring by the blade diameter is a bit too big for the this size generator.  I could have misunderstood the post but I had to ask.

Please excuse my ignorance and believe me, I tried the search option for days.

Thank you

Mike

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:11:41 PM by (unknown) »

Watt

Re: 16awg wire, 12 magnets per rotor 10' turbine
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »
Would I know it, after listing this thread I've answered the 16awg wire question.  http://69.175.14.181/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_30&products_id=184

Thank you

Mike

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:37:09 PM by Watt »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:30:48 AM »
In a normal wind area the 10ft with rectangular magnets seems fine but in a higher wind area you really must make sure it does genuinely furl at about 500W.

You may be able to increase the disc diameter a bit and get the #16 wire in with 12 poles, a few turns less wouldn't hurt as you will most likely end up increasing air gap on a 48v machine.

Going to 16 magnets will give you something more rugged and more like the round magnet version. If you do this then reduce coil turns so that you don't cut in any lower speed than the original winding. You will need larger discs but you should have room for even thicker wire than #16.

If you have the #16 then use it and it will be fine. Be prepared to have to add some line resistance as I think it will stall fairly hard.

It will be a more robust winding than the 12 pole with #17 wire but still you must make sure it will furl safely. peaks to 1kW should be ok but 600W sustained for significant periods is all you can expect without compromising reliability.

Whatever you do if it furls correctly it will be ok, if not you will have trouble in the first real storm.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:30:48 AM by Flux »

Watt

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:52:48 AM »
Hello Flux and thank you for your reply.  

We have high gusts of wind lately and hope to build this machine and fly it before the gusts are again limited.  This will surely help with furl testing.  

I am not limited by the wire I have already purchased and have no problem purchasing what is required.  I only decided to double check after reading some posts and trying to optimize for the usual wind speed and rotor diameter.  

What I find strange is we now have 300ft tall commercial wind turbines all around us.  I know the wind has produced more than 500kwh of electric from my 17 footer and wonder if my weather station is accurate.  Or, maybe it's my huge imagination.

Thank you kindly for your reply.  I've always learned from your posted replies.

Mike

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:52:48 AM by Watt »

Gary D

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:48:59 PM »
 Mike, if you check renewable energy parts page(otherpower) #2 the heavy duty version of 48 volt stator has #15 guage wire in it. This would give you a larger margin of safety with the 16/12 setup doesn't hurt, but resistance would be needed, as Dan states.

Have wondered why the Dan's haven't gone to a 16/12 1x2x1/2 insted of the 2 inch disc's as an option for their 10 footers...  Gary D.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:48:59 PM by Gary D »

Watt

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 10:03:05 PM »
Thank you Gary for this reply.

I'll sure give that a look.  I've been wonder about adding the Midnite Solar "Classic" to this wind turbine just to see what happens and of course learn.  I've ordered three more sizes of wire 17awg, 15awg, and 14awg.  Surely by having 4 sizes and a wealth of information, I'll be able to build several stators if nothing else.  I'd like to use this machine to keep a 835ah 48v forklift battery charged.  I won't use this forklift all the time and when I do, I'll use it in short intervals for unloading a few pallets every other day or so.  Otherwise, I'll just plug the battery into my existing array as needed to either top up this battery or back up the other system.  I don't know though, but I do know I have to keep on keeping on.

Thank you again for your suggestion.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 10:03:05 PM by Watt »