Author Topic: 12 Volt Stator Help  (Read 1231 times)

micblock

12 Volt Stator Help
« on: January 06, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »
We are building a 12 volt turbine from Hugh Piggott recipe book, 6 foot turbine, 10" disk with 8 Magnets, Stator has 6 coils. Now according to Hugh Piggott the stator should be wired in parallel with a diode on each wire, then run to a rectifier. I just can't wrap my head around this, is there a print I can see? or a drawing step by step.  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:05:45 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: 12 Volt Stator Help
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:07:17 AM »
Because of the difficulty of thick wire and parallel paths on 12v machines I seem to remember that Hugh winds each coil for the 12v and uses a single phase potted bridge rectifier to each coil the rectifier + and - are common to the battery.

If I am right about this you have each coil connected to the ac terminals of the bridge and all the bridge dc terminals form your connection to the battery.

I can't remember if one side of each coil is starred together. I though there was a drawing in the book on how to connect this. If I can find the book later I will tru to check but with a bit of luck someone else will come in first.

Flux

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:07:17 AM by Flux »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:28:35 AM »
I managed to find where the cat hid the book.

It is in fact the second option that I mentioned.

All the starts of the coils are connected together ( Star) and the finishes all go to an ac connection of a bridge rectifier block.  You need enough bridges connected in parallel on the dc side to give you an ac connection for each coil.

If you have 6 coils you need 3 diode bridges to get the 6 ac leads.

If you have the metric edition then the connection diagram is on page 36 with the coil winding data. Each pair of diodes shown on that drawing is half a potted bridge.

Hope you can follow this I am not sure if I can post drawings at the moment. If it means messing with HTML code I won't be able to do it.

Flux

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:28:35 AM by Flux »

micblock

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »
Thank you much flux, for the help. Any and all help is welcome. Thanks again Mic
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:41:47 PM by micblock »