Author Topic: Newbie question?  (Read 1353 times)

dwpeters12

Newbie question?
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:54:44 PM »
I about have my first one completed. It is a 4 ft. diameter 300 watt turbine. I have no idea what to do from here. I would like to eventually make a bigger turbine and connect it to the grid. This little 4 ft. one would hardly be worth the hassle but could i connect both of them and use the same inverter? If i purchased an inverter that would handle both of the turbines right now but only hooked up the small one right now would that work? What else do i need besides an inverter? I have the three wires coming out of the stator what do i do from there? Any help, links, or input would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:54:44 PM by (unknown) »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Newbie question?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 05:27:53 AM »
next, a rectifier is used to change the alternating current to direct current

you can charge a battery with direct current

you will need a device called a charger controller.

you may need something called a dump load
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 05:27:53 AM by electrondady1 »

dwpeters12

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 05:36:57 AM »
If i am planning on grid tieing it do I still need that? Just asking dont really know?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 05:36:57 AM by dwpeters12 »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:02:42 PM »
If you are planning on grid-tie, then you really dont need a dump load...UNTIL the grid goes down for some reason. At that point, your turbine will be without a load, and therefore will over speed and you run the risk of disaster. It is always safe to have a dump load and an associated dump load controller just in case the grid fails. The only problem is that many dump load controllers operate at a low voltage, when in actuality, to keep your grid tie turbine efficient, you will most likely be using a high voltage inverter (this is a problem). The solution in the past has been to use a "voltage clamp" device to dynamically brake the machine if its voltage rises above a certain threshold level (usually set by the voltage clamp, with respect to the cut in and operating input voltage of the grid tie inverter.

If for some reason you wanted to have a battery based grid tie inverter, you could have the best of both worlds (with respect to control electronics) with a slight decrease in efficiency due to I^2R losses in the stator (cut in at low voltage, high current).

Maybe boB will pop in to talk about his Clipper and how this works with regard to different voltages and keeping the turbine under control when the grid fails.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:02:42 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

dwpeters12

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »
So could I be connected to the grid and charge batteries in case of power faliure? And what do i need to get there are so many options and prices on inverters, dump loads, recitifiers, dump load controlers , and everything else that goes with it. Would you happen to have a diagram of how everthing goes i really have no idea what to do from here?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:39:15 PM by dwpeters12 »