Author Topic: Blowing a Great Opportunity  (Read 306 times)

finnsawyer

Blowing a Great Opportunity
« on: December 13, 2004, 06:21:56 PM »
Last night I watched a TV program about Oliver the "Humanzee".  He was so named because people thought he might be a cross between a human and a chimpanzee.  From an early age he preferred to walk on two legs one hundred percent of the time.  He was also capable of carrying out simple tasks simply by being told what to do.  He behaved differently than normal chimps, he preferred to be around people, and normal chimps shunned him.  He also was different looking than normal chimps.  At the time the program was made he was still alive, but was of an advanced age.  He was not treated well and for nine years had been kept in a cage in a research lab.  Genetic testing proved ultimately that he was a chimp (he has 48 chromosomes), but also is different genetically (may be a new species) than most chimps.

So, what am I getting at.  This was a great opportunity for science to study a unique animal.  Here was a chance to determine the abilities and intelligence of an animal that never had been seen before.  But science fell flat on it's face.  Neither the owners, the government, or researchers could see beyond their own myopic prejudices.  I find it ironical that researchers get large grants to study the ability of chimps to think and communicate, but no one thought to do those studies with Oliver, who was obviously advanced in many ways.  He deserved better.  Now science must wait for another unique individual like Oliver to surface.  

Note to admin:  If you wish, erase this after a reasonable time.  Thank you.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 06:21:56 PM by (unknown) »