Author Topic: curiosity killed the cat-hydrogen production  (Read 357 times)

Kwazai

curiosity killed the cat-hydrogen production
« on: October 14, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »
*while perhaps interesting to some, this has nothing to do with workable homebrew electricity, or remote living or anything so I axed it* ;~)

A friend has been using a NaOH solution to derust car parts and fixes transmisions (ends up with crapped out aluminum cases) and a month or so ago, asked me about burning hydrogen (catalytic or elctrolytic produced) in an engine. I did some research on the net and sent it on to him. I ran across several methods including hydrochloric acid and aluminum to produce hydrogen and got to thinking about it, but don't have the chemistry background to answer my own questions. I got to looking around at household chemicals (other than lye) and realized bleach (NaOCl, sodium hypochlorite) has some of the same constituents. I did not find any reactions on the net for aluminum (or zinc) with bleach and was wondering if bleach, water and aluminum would produce hydrogen (maybe with the addition of some iron filings,etc.). Any body out there have the chemistry background to know?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 12:22:58 PM by (unknown) »

fishfarm

Re: curiosity killed the cat-hydrogen production
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 08:36:13 AM »
Do a Google board search for aluminum hydrogen (250 hits). NTL (nothing to lose) in particular has done a lot of thinking and testing on this subject.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 08:36:13 AM by fishfarm »

finnsawyer

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 08:38:36 AM »
Beware of using chemicals containing chlorine.  The reaction could release chlorine gas which is very dangerous.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 08:38:36 AM by finnsawyer »

Aelric

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 09:46:21 AM »
There are lots of was to produce hydrogen, next trick is storing it safely.  Salt Wwater Aluminum batteries happen to give off hydrogen while they are working (one use batteries though, then you must replace the aluminum) telephone company used to use them so I have learned.  Lead Acid batteries also give off hydrogen gas, thats why a good battery pack ought to be vented properly unless they are sealed gel cells.  Even water can give off Hydrogen and Oxygen.  The process is called Electrolysis, just requires 2 stout electrodes and some electricity (not copper because it will end up electro plating the other side).  A good choice for an electrode is platinum, even carbon rods are ok.  Hydrogen comes out one side and Oxygen comes off the other.

This Fellow at http://www.scitoys.com/  has some interesting toys he shows you how to make in a educational style.  If you look at his entry on fuel cells he will even show how to make an operational fuel cell.  Very small scale though, and platinum is oftly expensive.  

All that having been said, I do believe the future of energy storage is in hydrogen.  If handled properly it can be safer than gasoline.  Even Hydrogen combustion engines are a great deal more clean burning then gasoline.  Hydrogen fuel cells could in the future take the place of batteries with a good Electrolysis setup to provide the Hydrogen off of Windturbines and solar panels you could use Fuel cells the way some people use backup Generators to keep the lights on.  Coincidentally the Hindenburg's paint job had a similar chemical makeup to rocket fuel and it was the diesel that made it continue burning which is what caused the burns on the people there, not the hydrogen.  The Hydrogen went up in just a few seconds, and it literally went up.  When the balloon was punchured hydrogen went up and out while it burned up, thus carrying it away from the people, while the diesel which operated the turbines fell down on them and burned them.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 09:46:21 AM by Aelric »