Author Topic: oxy-hydrogen fumigation into an automobile engine... possible?  (Read 316 times)

asheets

oxy-hydrogen fumigation into an automobile engine... possible?
« on: November 14, 2005, 08:37:19 PM »

EDITORS NOTE:

If you want to start accepting these type stories, please accept my resignation. Otherwise I am killing them as they show up.

OK, I've been reading a few links from here, and I think I've come up with an idea I want to try.  I thought I run things through here 1st to see if anybody has any improvements, suggestions, insults, or cautions.

I was reading this page:  LINK and specifically looking at this picture:  LINK , and thinking -- what would happen if I generated some oxy-hydrogen and injected it into the airflow of my beat-up old car?

A really basic electrolyzer like this one: LINK will put out hydrogen and oxygen in a semi-quasi-stable gaseous form.  Basically, it would be a monopropellant, carrying both reactant and oxidizer.  That way, except for volume displacement, you wouldn't be enriching the air/gasoline mixture by that much.

This page: LINK shows that even home-built electrolyzer can output enough oxy-hydrogen to be a fairly efficient blowtorch.  I'm thinking of instead introducing the oxy-hydrogen into the cylinder with the regular air/gasoline mixture and ignighting the whole thing at the same time.

I figure I can waste about $50 on building the setup, and I'm getting rid of the car 1 way or another (I've got a geo metro coming in next week as a replacement -- 50mpg, here I come).  I build the generator, powering it with a solar panel from Harbor Freight ($30).  The the rest of the generator, the piping, and flame arrestors, etc will come from Home Depot ($20) or my parts pile at home.

Some possible bad impacts I can think of right away:

1. premature oxy-hydrogen ignition outside the engine -- having played with this stuff before, I think a loud "boom" would be the worst impact (I won't generate that much oxy-hydrogen with my setup).  In any case, the car battery emits at least as much hydrogen as this setup would be -- I've blown up a car battery before, and while devestating if it happens in your face, I figure with the hood down I'd be ok.
  2. knocking, pinging, pre-detonation, backfire, etc -- well, like I said, I'm getting rid of the car 1 way or the other.

I'm not going for 300mpg, nor am I trying to run the car completely "off of water" like some of these overunity people and con artists try to do.  I'm just looking to supplement my gasoline a bit.  If I get 5 extra mpg or a little more power after a dyno test, I'd be really impressed.

Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 08:37:19 PM by (unknown) »

maker of toys

Re: oxy-hydrogen fumigation into an automobile eng
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 02:13:36 PM »
so where are you planning to store all this fuel-air explosive?

(so I can avoid that entire county?)

the amount of pre-mixed oxyhydrogen gas you'd need to drive even a geo 5 miles  (3.6MJ aproximately or the proceeds of 1 kWh of hydrolysis) would, if detonated while pressurised inside a metal tank, make good approximation of an artillery shell.  even if contained in a gasbag at atmospheric pressure, I think it'd do a fair job of burning up the whole car and a fair bit of the surrounding countryside.

Now, I know that you're not planning on much hydrogen, but still, the amount I'm talking about is only the energy equivilent to 1/10 of a gallon of gasoline.

Separtately from the danger:

to make any significant impact on your gasoline consumption, you'll need to replace that fuel energy; and as has been discussed here in other posts, the energy density of oxy-hydrogen gas at STP is dismal at best. I, for one, would not try compressing the mixture into a tank. (see above)

there's also the little problem (if you're willing to take the risk of storing oxygen and hydrogen in the same place) of them from separating due to their different densities.  

so you might as well let the O2 go- things will be simpler and safer.  And Oxygen is readily available from the air anyway.

to make a usable mobile apparatus, you'll still need to compress the hydrogen; that's a job for a special compressor, because using the ordinary sort of air compressor is asking for leaks, a fire or worse.  and even stored at 150 psi, you'll not get a significant amount of hydrogen into a portable tank.  (say a propane grill tank?)

my feeling?  save the $50 and take your new geo on a road trip.

-Dan

« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 02:13:36 PM by maker of toys »