Author Topic: Shaping Rebar  (Read 270 times)

juiced

Shaping Rebar
« on: February 06, 2005, 06:21:42 PM »
 Rebar is the stuff they use to reinforce concrete. I think everyone calls it rebar but maybe not.

I noticed that if i cut 3/4 of the way through and then bent it, it would snap rather then bend. I remember rebar as being flexible. I also noticed a slightly white-metal look to the fractured portion.

It was cold but still. Im not entirely sure if bending it will work. I need two get the two peices of the same lenght to a rough " ? " shape. They have to be perfectly even.

I know i need to use a torch and heat 'em up pretty well before i try but does anybody here know of a reason they would fail structurally?  the bottom of the ' ? ' will be fitted/welded inside of a 7/8 post. (ok, the rebar is just under 7/8...)  Im using this as an ancor / security hook for a PV rack. The rack hooks from the bottom and sits on runners while locked at the top.

My other choice was a 'U-lock' cut in half but they are generally too thin. Really hard to cut, but too thin. So 1> difficult to cut / shape, 2> tough/toxic to weld (titanium) 3> loose fitting.

I would implement a full u lock but it isnt secure enough because of where in my design i would have to implement it.

A single, long rod with a lock wouldnt be secure enough or would be too heavy @ approx 4 1/2 feet. Niether would small pad-lock flanges on both sides.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 06:21:42 PM by (unknown) »

zubbly

Re: Shaping Rebar
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 11:48:30 AM »
Hey Juiced!

when i need to bend rebar, i usually just eat a couple boxes of cheerios and a few cans of spinach.  You can actually twist the rebar into pretzel shapes.  :)

hope this helps

zubbly

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 11:48:30 AM by zubbly »

Victor

Re: Shaping Rebar
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 12:02:38 PM »
Rebar comes in grades or minimum yteld strengths of 40, 60,  and 80. the grade 40 is the best for welding. Oh, there is also a grade specified as weldable.

The grade 60 is usually weldable if you know what you are doing and use the correct electrodes ,pre heats, post heats etc.. The grade 80 is not recomended for welding at all.

usually the larger sizes ( #6 and larger) are stocked in grade 60. Grade 60 has a kind of dash line periodically in the knurling pattern.

The problem is, that because of It's intended use (rienforcing concrete), rebar is not held to any chemical composition specs, only yield strength. So weldability and ductility varies from heat to heat.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:02:38 PM by Victor »