Author Topic: Magnets and Hot Motor Oil  (Read 242 times)

amgine

Magnets and Hot Motor Oil
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:02:38 AM »
Hi,

Great list !!

Simple question. What would be the most suitable type of magnetic material to live happily inside an aircooled motorcycle engine ?

My thing is elderly motorcycles, and a few months ago I put a magnet into my motor to catch any steel particles before they get to the oil pump and get pumped around the rest of the motor - my 'bike doesn't have a filter as such and relies on any grunge getting trapped by centrifugal force within the crankshaft.

I'm not sure what I have used, asked the person who sold it to me which type handles heat best and took what I was given.

It had to be hacked down to fit - very tough stuff, much harder than stainless steel.

Took the job slowly, hacksaw and files, so as not to get it too hot.

Anyway, it's time for an oil change and I heard about these super strong rare earth ones, wanted to find out if they were OK at about 110 degrees C for maybe 2 months, or more. And can I cut/grind/chew them into suitable shapes without affecting their magnetism.

Pic of where the magnet is placed, inside the oil drain plug, right where oil goes into oil pump.  http://www.machinerycleanery.com/OilDrainPlugMagnet.jpg

Thanks in anticipation, and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading thru the discussions.

amgine

« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 09:02:38 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Magnets and Hot Motor Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 02:38:45 AM »
Your temperatures are pushing Neodymium to the limit even with no demagnetising field.  Samarium Cobalt would be ok if you can get it, it is expensive and you shouldn't start grinding it, the powder is not stable.

For these conditions I think you would be better off sticking with Barium Ferrite or good old magnet steels such as Alcomax or Alnico. The main thing is to find something of the right shape and with poles in the right place.

Flux

« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 02:38:45 AM by Flux »