Author Topic: Small generator/alternator  (Read 240 times)

MaxPower

Small generator/alternator
« on: March 05, 2006, 04:23:12 PM »
Hello. I am trying to build an impulse driven motor to heat a small heating element. The problem is that this motor/ generator needs to be about as small as a wallet. What I to work with to create energy is about 150 pounds of pressure ever second or so for a duration of about .2 seconds. There seems to be plenty of designs on how to create power from a high velocity motion, but i couldn't find anything on slow strong movements.  I found some useful information in the toymill section, and the gear system from kidwind.org seems to have some merit, however that is about 4 times too large for the project. Is there any way to turn this force into emf? I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks

PS ... perhaps using a small electric motor to charge a capacitor which dispersed heat periodically? however I still need a way to efficiently spin a small electric motor like that.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 04:23:12 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

Re: Small generator/alternator
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 09:43:20 AM »
Unhappily your requirements are not well defined to be able to Pre-calculate the needed power source.

150 pounds for 0.2 seconds, with what arm ?.

Heating element -- data ?. temperature and volume to heat etc.

Too many data points to reveal --

Wallet size -- define volume and area.

Nando

« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 09:43:20 AM by Nando »

kitno455

Re: Small generator/alternator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 12:12:18 PM »
Max- what is this motion? a linear piston type arrangement? what sort of stroke length? is it ok to resist retraction of the piston? do you have a permanent linkage, or does your 'wallet' have to have an impact resistant shell?

first thoughts- look at peizo-electric cells and the common bathroom mechanical scale rack and pinion unit.

need more data.

allan

« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 12:12:18 PM by kitno455 »