Author Topic: This has nothing to do with RE just asking my friends a question about car tires.  (Read 211 times)

RCpilot

The tires on my wife's car were getting dry rotted a bit and were, at the time, 5 years old and had at least half tread on them. I want her car to be as safe as possible and decided to replace the tires for her. We had a set of tires installed on her car at a local tire store. They are Michelin Tires and were $130 each. We wanted the best. Hardly a year later, these tires are dry rotted and wont hold air and have to be topped off about once a month. The dealer has remounted them at least once attempting to fix the bead leak or wherever they are leaking. All these years I had no idea what a DOT number was that you see on the side of a tire. After researching it, found out it contains at date code. We determined that the tires were 4 years old when they were installed on the car. The dealer HAD to know this as the DOT number is written on the receipt. We paid for Brand New tires, not tires that were 4 years old and now, almost a year later the tires are 5 years old and dry rotted and I feel are unsafe. We are back to what we started with when I decided to replace them. We went back to the dealer and they pretty much brushed us off. I emailed the corporate office this morning to see what kind of response I get. I understand that tires stored properly in a controlled environment probably don't age but, in my opinion, the dealer should not have sold us tires that were that old at a premium price and, should replace them now with NEW tires. Friends, what would you do? If this post does not fit board standards feel free to delete it.

Kelly

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:47:25 PM by (unknown) »