Author Topic: Web Site Linking  (Read 365 times)

acselectronics

Web Site Linking
« on: April 01, 2007, 08:21:04 AM »
Hello all, Well I have tried emailing info74, i have tried posting once and it all seems to bounce or disappear, I'll try again. Could otherpower link my web site please, it is an alternate energy site (and lifestyle) site, and formally acs.comcen.com

I hope everyone likes it, http://www.freewebs.com/acselectronics
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 08:21:04 AM by (unknown) »

commanda

Re: Web Site Linking
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 01:57:05 AM »
I was disappointed when your original site disappeared, as I hadn't finished reading it.

Had a quick look at the new site, couldn't see the 78s40 based solar mppt. Is this one of the items you lost?

And I think you mean formerly, not formally?

Amanda

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 01:57:05 AM by commanda »

David HK

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 05:12:00 AM »
Are you Australian, American, Canadian, or British?

For an educational web site the use of English is not very good, viz - "There is lots of things an individual can do........

How about "There ARE lots of things an individual can do.......

"If you have a green thumb...     How about, "If you are keen on horticulture ........agriculture and so forth...

If your an accountant, find a way to present alternate energy as a cheaper solution

No comma at the end, and why are accountants especially singled out to be modern day solutions to energy problems? Try you're for `your'. Alternate? Alternative, perhaps.

The "Solar Powered Electric Fence" is the most elegant Heath Robinson contraption thing I have ever seen in my entire life, and I don't have much time to see more! Not even a circuit diagram! This entire plan is nonsense and more to do with lunacy! http://www.freewebs.com/acselectronics/solarfence.html   The `regulars' of the Otherpower site will roll over laughing when they see this idea. What happens in the winter?

Quite a few more spelling errors spoil the site.

I tried some of the "links" and they do not go anywhere.

Seems very heavy on PIC's, much of this information can be found directly on PIC sites.

Your web site is simply not a mature, quality, effort. It's a cobbled together affair with poor quality drawings and caveats on almost every page. It needs a lot more work and polishing.

It's not my cup of tea.

David HK

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 05:12:00 AM by David HK »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 05:53:21 AM »
"It's not my cup of tea."

Wouldn't that have sufficed instead of saying how crap you think the site is? Give the guy some credit, some people wouldn't even bother with renewable energy. At least he is TRYING.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 05:53:21 AM by AbyssUnderground »

David HK

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 06:21:51 AM »
Dear Abyss Underground,

I believe your quite a young man who is also doing a sterling job with your own web site. It's actually quite good and I have found it of interest. It was a step back to have mother nature deal a harsh blow on your solar panels, but I am sure you are taking that as the learning curve of life, just as we all do.

I am not of the age where I would use the word 'crap' about someones attempts to create a web site. I can see - just like everyone else - that the owner of the web site is trying very hard, just like everyone else, but the thing is that with more polish it could be a great deal better.

I am not prepared to write a web site note and say that something is 'crap', because that does not help at all.

There is a great deal I have not mentioned. Some of the circuits and drawings seem familiar. I am not aware that the author has created an 'acknowledgement' concerning copyright matters. Perhaps I missed it.

The gentleman concerned put his work in a public place. He should be aware that it may attract constructive comment.

David HK

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 06:21:51 AM by David HK »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Caution critique enclosed.....
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 07:29:25 AM »
acselectronics;

I have to agree with David here and add a comment or two. I also think it is good that you are trying so don't misread my intent.

First, that flashing moving crap [yes crap] is annoying.

Second, the easiest way to "web link" is to become an actual contributing member here and use your website address in your .sig line. I noticed you joined yesterday and this is your only post here so contributing awhile will boost your "credibility" here anyway and accomplish your request with the .sig line url I mentioned.

Third, break up your writing into blocks of text, as in sentences with spaces between, a few linefeeds and carriage returns. Frankly, it is hard to read and that will make folks leave quickly.

fourth, if you are using circuits designed by others you should acknowledge that. Not sure if you are or not, I just couldn't stand the flashing moving items on the pages.

And a question:

Why should we link to your site? It is hosted on a free hosting service that adds content to your page which make it look cheap.

Just become a contributing member, add your site to your .sig line and the need for "weblinking" is accomplished.

I guess you didn't ask for a critique, but in order to keep a high caliber of content here, I would lean towards not adding a link at this time. It is not my decision and Dan will probably make a decision on this.

Thats how things work on the internet. You have thousands of pairs of eyes on you and things like appearance, grammar and proper credit for any content obtained from others is important.

Please take this as constructive criticism of your site that will, hopefully, enable you to create an awesome R.E. online resource.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 07:29:25 AM by TomW »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 07:59:29 AM »
I understand you didn't intend to mean it was a "crap" site but you pointed out everything that was bad about it and nothing good which is why I posted my comment. I always say if you're going to make comments, try and make both positive and negative if you have negative comments. Saying one part is good but also saying some other needs improvement and how they could do that is fine, but putting everything down doesn't give the person much hope.

Im glad you find my site of interest but I hope you understand where Im coming from with my comment. We all have our own opinion, neither of which is either right or wrong, we just disagree with eachothers ;-)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 07:59:29 AM by AbyssUnderground »

David HK

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 08:21:18 AM »
Abyss,

Please stop being so aggressive and antigonistic to me.  To quote you, "but you pointed out everything that was bad about it and nothing good".

Nonsense, if I had wanted to go the full gammut I would still be writing. You are attacking me in an unreasonable manner. I deliberately gave you the opportunity to see why and where I was making my pitch in my last e-mail.  

The Otherpower web site is in the 'top five' league on the Internet. It now has an international standard of delivery and quality. The patrons and commentators are 'world class'.

I enjoy the quality and standard.

If other web site operators wish to join and link web sites at this level, I welcome them, but I do not own the site.

David HK

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 08:21:18 AM by David HK »

RUFUS

• Still starving in the east Texas piney woods
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 02:43:04 PM »
Ya'll keep it up,

you'll be on the wire pulling

crew before you know it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:43:04 PM by RUFUS »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 03:55:57 PM »
Hiya acselectronics

Yep I'm happy to see you back as well, you have some interresting projects and I used to visit your old site often.

Dont worry about some of the old cranky bums on this forum, its a case of they need to look in their own back yards before commenting on your efforts. Some people just get out of bed on the wrong side, every day!

Yeah I agree you web site is a little hard to navigate at first, but the content makes it worth the effort. Other big sites like otherpower and scoraigwind dont exactly look that good or make navigation easy either, but the content is excellent once you look around.

Keep at it, look at other sites for idea's, and ask friends to test your site for you. I'm glad to see your back online and have bookmarked your site for later reference.

Glenn

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 03:55:57 PM by gizmo »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 02:18:34 PM »
Frankly, it is hard to read and that will make folks leave quickly.

I agree with that comment.

The front page with some flash contents, which I cannot see at all, would have stopped me to enter further into your site at all, if I wouldn't know already from the comments by others above that there are some interesting projects. In my opinion you should remove all those flashy things from the first page.

Some of your electronics circuits look quite interesting.

But please try removing all the colorful backgrounds and different colors of the text and so on to make it more readable.

You could also try publishing your circuit ideas here by starting a diary?

Some mistakes with English I don't think to be a big problem. Some of the very good contributors on this site are using quite broken English, too. It isn't any big problem as far we can understand what they are writing.

with best regards,

- Hannu

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:18:34 PM by hvirtane »

acselectronics

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 04:09:29 AM »
Hello All,

Acs electronics 'ere. Gee I am sorry for offending so many with colours and flashy bits, let alone bad grammar. Frankly I dont care . . . (if you dont like it vote with your feet, I dont need to hear about it!)

I am interested in helping a genuine "alternate energy" "person" though, and I feel that they would perservere through the pages of interest on my site. All the ccts within the site have been built and work (there may be a typo however ;) . . .surprise, surprise), and if something belongs to somebody else I have generally acknowledged it. Many things are just basic building blocks most techs can draw from memory anyway.

My reason for linking here was for a larger public audience, I was linked here once under a different address, and I have carried "otherpowers links" at my site for many years too, I thought it was only fair . . . .

Since though I seem to have created such a "problem", I think I should just delete all otherpowers links, forget about here, and disappear.

To those who just acknowledged that "he had a go,and to be fair". . . .thanks, 1 persons praise is worth a thousand knockers.

Chris

ps (I didnt use the spell checker provided here)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 04:09:29 AM by acselectronics »