Author Topic: Anonymous Hero  (Read 246 times)

Demetri

Anonymous Hero
« on: October 21, 2003, 09:59:21 PM »
It appears AH posting is being allowed again. Good luck to all of us, I hope this attempt goes better than the last one.

Demetri

« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 09:59:21 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Anonymous Hero
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 10:28:15 PM »
Demetri;

Hehe not really. Anyone logged in can cloak their id when posting a comment. Its kind of undocumented but its possible. Just above the subject field that "Post as" pulldown allows AH cloaking of the users real name.

I saw that comment and it seemed friendly enough and, frankly, I agree.

A perfectly legitimate question I think. But thats just my opinion.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 10:28:15 PM by TomW »

Demetri

Re: Anonymous Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 11:37:03 PM »
I didn't know a person could cloak who they were posting as. Oops, I feel humbled.

Now, why would a person do that? I don't see any reason not to identify yourself with your words, and stand by them. But like you said, that's my opinion. I'm sure you admins know who posts what, no matter who they post as.

That post would have gone better in a diary(possibly this one too), but other than that I see nothing wrong with it.

Thanks Tom.

Demetri

« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 11:37:03 PM by Demetri »

ADMIN

Ooops.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 10:32:45 AM »

Thanks to Demetri and TomW for figuring this out. There are LOTS of variables and options that can be configured for this board....and after a short search I finally found the one that was allowing anonymous comments, but not anonymous stories. It's turned off now; there should not be an option for an anonymous comment anymore.

As of now, anonymous folks can read stories, read comments, and vote in polls, but that's it.

A lesson for all users of the board -- us ADMINs try our best to get things working smoothly and keep everybody reasonably happy. But this board is so flexible, it's pretty complicated. We miss stuff all the time, and this was an example! So please continue to let us know if something seems odd.

The next thing up will be a mod to deal with people who post comments to old stories. We are not sure yet if it will be bumping the date tag up, or a "Read All New" function -- probably the latter.

Cheers

ADMIN

(DanF)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 10:32:45 AM by ADMIN »

John

Re: Ooops.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 01:21:27 PM »
I vote for the latter.

John

« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 01:21:27 PM by John »